PDA

View Full Version : Linking parameters of a family to a room.

dhulsberg
2008-12-29, 04:50 PM
I am looking to build a room schedule that can track the parameters of the families that are placed within. For instance, I have a series of rooms each requiring different equipment that has its own hazardous material classifications. I have shared parameters set up on the piece of equipment depicting if it requires bases, acids, biologicals, etc...

I want my room schedule to pick up that information when I place that piece of equipment in that room. This would be especially useful if I were to move that piece of equipment out of the room and it would automatically take it out of the room schedule. Hopefully I'm not swinging for the fence in my request here.

Thanks in advance for any type of help.

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-29, 05:06 PM
Certain Family types are aware of what Room they are in, but i dont recall which ones.

Furniture comes to mind. So if your family is a Furniture Family, you can make a Furniture Schedule that will then tell you which room each item is in. Then if you drag it out of the room it will change in the furniture schedule...

You cannot get it to report in the Room Finish Schedule, that i know of. You might be able to with the API, but not natively in the program...

Scott Womack
2008-12-29, 08:20 PM
I have a series of rooms each requiring different equipment that has its own hazardous material classifications. I have shared parameters set up on the piece of equipment depicting if it requires bases, acids, biologicals, etc...

I want my room schedule to pick up that information when I place that piece of equipment in that room. This would be especially useful if I were to move that piece of equipment out of the room and it would automatically take it out of the room schedule.

You won't get it to show in a "room Schedule, but you can create a Multi-Catagory Schedule (or Specialty Equipment if the families are all of one catagory), add the room number, and level fields to the schedule, then you can sort them by level, Room Number, etc. to get a schedule of the items/parameters you want by Room number. That is probably the best you can get currently, without some serious custom programing in .net via the API

Mike Sealander
2008-12-30, 12:43 PM
You can create either a multi-category schedule and insert room fields (room name, room number) or create a single category schedule and do the same thing. On the Schedule Properties dialogue Fields tab in the lower left corner is the "Select available fields from" pulldown. "Room" is a choice.
Be careful with objects very close to a room edge, like a piece of equipment up against a wall.

nancy.mcclure
2009-11-09, 10:25 PM
Furniture, Casework and Specialty Eq. all allow you to add Room parameters into their single-family schedule, so you can easily filter/sort/group based upon Room data. The element itself, however will not 'acquire' any Room parameters - ie: if a piece is placed in an isolation-rated room and therefore need an additional attachment/classification, the piece will NOT automatically fill in an equipment parameter with that data. However, Key Schedules of the necessary upgrades needed to an equipment piece could be utlized once the brought-in room parameter identified which pieces needed them.

Scott Womack
2009-11-10, 11:20 AM
Nancy,

Every thing you stated is true, but the OP was trying to have a room show what items are in a given room. Currently, that annot be done that I know of. With a series of shared parameters, it might be possible to do a multi-catagory schedule of certain family types, that all acced the room info. But if memory serves me, that parameter is not available to those objects in a multi-catagory schedule.

nancy.mcclure
2009-11-10, 05:49 PM
I am looking to build a room schedule that can track the parameters of the families that are placed within. For instance, I have a series of rooms each requiring different equipment that has its own hazardous material classifications.

Seems to me that the original thought was to create a room schedule - I'm suggesting that a workable method be to create an equipment schedule (seems the elements in question would all fall in this category) and add fields "from Rooms" to sort.

FWSchreck
2010-04-19, 07:14 PM
Hello:

I just made a multi-category schedule, in an attempt to be able to track furniture by room name and number. The furniture shows up in the schedule, but the room name and number do not. How do I get them to show up?

Scott Womack
2010-04-20, 02:11 PM
You don't need a multicatagory schedule, unless you are trying to get multiple object categories (not talking about rooms) into one schedule. For just furniture with a room name/number, create a furniture schedule, and when selecting fields for the schedule, in the lower right corner where it says furniture, you should be able to pull this down, and see Rooms there. Set it to rooms, and then there is a series of room based parameters you can include in the furniture schedule. The rooms HAVE to be in the model with the furniture. When including data in linked files, I beleve both Levels and Rooms under the pulldown are not available.