PDA

View Full Version : End Wall/Truss

eric.110455
2008-12-31, 12:23 AM
Im stumped, when attaching a wall to a gable end roof it works perfect from an exterior view but a section view is not accurate. The section indicates the wood wall extends to the roof, but it should stop at the plate height, only the stucco (exterior finish) extends up to the roof (endwall truss is used for support). I unlocked the stucco layer on my wall type but still can't get it to work correctly. Any ideas out there?

patricks
2008-12-31, 03:31 AM
That's just how Revit works. When you attach a wall to a roof, the whole wall extends up, not just certain layers.

You have a couple of options:

1. Edit the wall's cut profile in the section. This solution is a "by view" solution, in that it only affects the graphics in that view, and not the actual model.

2. Model 2 separate roofs: one out to the outside face of the framing, and then another narrow piece of roof for the gable overhang. Join the roofs together, and they will appear as one piece. But then attach the top of the wall to the roof overhang only, and only those outer wall layers (outside the face of framing) should extend up.

Keep in mind that partial wall attachment only works with roofs, and possibly ceilings (can't remember). I know it will not work for attaching walls to floors. If only part of a wall is underneath a floor, the whole wall will extend up or down when attaching to a floor.

Mike Sealander
2008-12-31, 01:30 PM
This is frustrating.
I have taken the approach of drawing two walls: a sheathing layer outboard of a framing layer, and this gives the ability to have two different top of wall conditions. The issue there is you've got to join the two walls so that openings (doors and windows) work.

patricks
2008-12-31, 01:37 PM
This is frustrating.
I have taken the approach of drawing two walls: a sheathing layer outboard of a framing layer, and this gives the ability to have two different top of wall conditions. The issue there is you've got to join the two walls so that openings (doors and windows) work.

This is a possibility, but IMHO it can present some frustrating issues with door/window inserts later on down the line, especially when you start having to phase these different wall layers.

Me personally, I just take care of it in the details. I'm working on a project right now with 2x6 exterior wall stud framing, brick veneer, and gable roof trusses. I have attached the gable walls to the roof, but in the building sections, I have decided on this project to go the simple route: that is, simply draw masking regions to represent the "truss space" and perhaps draw a few thick lines to diagrammatically represent truss web framing. In the sections that cut through the gable wall, the masking region will extend out to the face of studs, so all that shows is the brick veneer and sheathing extending up. I'll probably draw some parallel lines every 24 inches to represent the trusses cut in section.

I will of course have larger scale sections that shows the 2x6 studs stopping at the bearing height, with the trusses going up from there. But for us architects, the masking regions/diagrammatic lines is really all that's needed from us.

eric.110455
2008-12-31, 10:09 PM
Patrick,
Your route does seem the easiest.