PDA

View Full Version : Create Fully Parametric Cube with x, y and z rotation

miltiades.stefadouros
2008-12-31, 06:53 AM
Hello,

Im trying to find or learn how to create a parametric cube that can be rotated around x, y and z axis. Ideally the cube would have a skin thickness parameter as well.... is this possible? Have done a lot of hunting and searching for answers but to no avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-31, 01:42 PM
You can do it with nested Families, but it wont behave such that you can use the *rotate* command. You will be able to access parameters in the parameter dialogue that will allow it to rotate in three directions. i do it something like this:

Family 1: Cube. Make sure it is Work Plane Based. Put in whatever other constraints you want, for skin thickness or whatever. Load in to Family 2.
Family 2: Place a reference LINE such that it can rotate in the y-axis direction. When you load in Family 1, make its workplane the Reference Line. Assign a parameter (angle) to the angle of the ref. line. Nest all the other parameters for constraints. Load it in to Family 3.
Family 3: Repeat steps from Fam 2, but putting the Reference Line rotating on the other plane, that you havent rotated about yet. Nest all parameters, etc. Load in to project. It will rotate in plan naturally.

cdsuggs
2009-01-07, 01:33 AM
Sounds like a great approach, but I'm having trouble getting this to work.

I've created the cube in plan as-well-as elevation but when I attempt to place it in Family 2, it will only load into plan. Also, what do you mean by "make its work plane the Reference Line"?

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-07, 01:18 PM
In the original family, go in to Settings > Family Catagory and parameters, and set it (at the bottom) to be "Work Plane Based." Then, in Families 2 and 3, the Reference LINE should be drawn either in elevation, or in whatever plane you want to be able to rotate it in. Then when you plop family 1 in there, you cna use Edit Work Plane to host it ON the reference line.

Its tough to explain in words, maybe someone has diagrams showing this already...

cdsuggs
2009-01-08, 01:05 AM
In the original family, go in to Settings > Family Catagory and parameters, and set it (at the bottom) to be "Work Plane Based." ...

Making the family Work Plane Based seems to be getting me closer, but that sucker won't rotate in any other view but Plan within Families 2 or 3. in Family 1, however, rotates in plan and elevation.

In families 2 and 3 I have Edited Work Plane to Reference Lines as-well-as Rehosting in all elevations... but still get the "Can't rotate element into this position" message.

Am I'm missing some portion of the workflow where I tell the sub-family that when it is hosted within another family, it shall be rotated in elevation? It seems the Work Plan Based setting is what should make this possible, but when I drop it into a host family, no dice.... plan only.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-08, 01:22 PM
Well, the reference LINE has to be drawn such that it can be rotated in the view youre trying to achive rotation in. Then, you need to set the objects workplane to BE the reference line. Have you done that already?

cdsuggs
2009-01-12, 04:05 PM
Yes, I was sure to create the ref Line in the view in which it was to rotate. I believe my problem was, as so often seems to be, the order in which I begin to associate elements to each other. Pick Order, if you will.

Basically I've taken to creating the reference line at an angle, assigning a parameter to it and flex it to zero degrees, then edit work plane. This seems to work pretty consistently.

Thanks for all your help, TRF.

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-13, 01:40 PM
So you got it to work? Awesome. :)

BTW, i do it the same way: Draw ref line at an agle, attach parameter, flex to zero, switch view, place object, edit work plane, select reference line. :)