PDA

View Full Version : Two Central Files

mmiles
2009-01-02, 04:50 PM
Ugh! worst case scenario: new server, moved central file, problem with permissions results in lost day of work and two central files being used simultaneously for 4 days.

I am not totally sure how it happened (under duress, no doubt) but my colleague have been nose-to-the-grindstone for the last week while saving to different central files. I have been working primarily on sections and foundation/strucutrual type of stuff, while my colleague has been working on creating dimensions, detail lines, and call-outs in interior elevations that reference different details. Some of those details have been made by her this week, and some are older views, previously made.

Without going into how two central files should never be.....can somehow offer some suggestions for reconciling the two? we are set to print this weekend, so currently we are hoping to print the interiors package from the one file, and the exterior from the other - but it really isn't a clean cut as that. this is a disaster, and I am not sure we have the time to fix it now, but my instincts tell me we should. Please help! thanks.

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-02, 04:55 PM
First, pick one that is going to BE the central file.

In the OTHER one, anything that is a drafting view can be File > Save to Library > Save Views, and then you can import them in to the other file.

But there isnt a "magic sync" button for the two files, so youll be cutting and pasting, down and dirty, to get the two reconciled.

Deadline or not, spend the time to make sure its taken care of now, or its only going to get worse going forward...

sfaust
2009-01-02, 05:15 PM
Also, anything that has been done that is drafting work (i.e. any detail components, etc, that has been done on an existing view) can be "copy/paste aligned"-ed from one file to the other.

Model elements are more difficult usually, so I would probably use the one you were working on as the central file, then copy in as much of her work as you can via what aaron described and what I described above.

Good luck, hopefully that's helpful...

mmiles
2009-01-02, 11:07 PM
thanks guys, that is what I expected. We ended up putting in the time to rectify the situation. All I can say is UGH!