PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Fixtures

paysna
2009-01-05, 07:01 PM
I have been trying to place lighting fixtures in a residential building. First I tried a Recessed Canned Light with no success. I was in my reflected ceiling plan and it wouldn't allow me to place it at all.

Secondly, I want to install vertical florescent lights, only it won't allow me to rotate them...

Any help or suggestions??

zenomail105021
2009-01-06, 10:54 AM
I do almost only spec residential and really don't find the need to have ceiling based lighting fixtures since I usually don't need to use ceilings. So, I just have my standard lighting fixtures at a height of 8' with an invisible line in the family to the reference level so they show up in my plan views when needed without having to adjust view range. Regarding wall based fixtures, I do have them as wall based families. Just an idea for you to think about.

Bill Maddox

allinthefamilies
2009-02-08, 09:33 PM
First, make sure that if you are trying to insert ceiling-hosted fixture families, that you have a ceiling object in which to place them. If the "ceiling" in your drawing is not a Revit "ceiling object (mouse over the edge of your ceiling and look in the lower left corner of Revit to see whether it is a ceiling or just an extrusion, a plane, or some other type of object). If it's not a Revit ceiling, then you need to find or make a face-based lighting fixture family. These families can be inserted into ANY surface, and the face-based template is actually the one all of us ought to be using when making any lighting fixture families.

Also, as you are inserting the fixture (dragging it from the project browser to the drawing window) you'll see several options for the type of surface in which to insert your fixture family- choose the one that is appropriate, and then click to place your fixture where you want it.

Second, it sounds like you are trying to put fluorescent lighting fixtures on a vertical surface. Again, if the fixture family you are using is ceiling hosted, you won't be able to place it on a wall. It can only ever be inserted into a ceiling object. Same solution- you will need to find or build a face-based fixture family.

So how do you know if your fixture is ceiling-hosted or face based? Open up the family and go into a 3D view. Mouse over the object in which the fixture sits- if the info bar on the lower left says Ceiling, it's ceiling hosted. If it says Extrusion, it's Face-based, and you're good to go.

Hope this helps.