PDA

View Full Version : Soffit help?

SupremeTaco
2009-01-05, 10:06 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to make this soffit above a seating area in a performing arts theater, and I can't figure out how to do this - the right way, or even the wrong way. Here's a render of it from 3ds Max (which is what I've modeled it in first... I'm just re-doing it in Revit to help myself learn Revit, and hopefully have a set of as-built plans, as it's almost done being built and I have all that info in the 3ds Max model).

As you can see from the plan view, the two walls are not parallel, but I do know the height of the bottom of wall "3" and the slope of the part connecting the two walls.

Any suggestions?

SupremeTaco
2009-01-05, 10:08 PM
Sorry, here's the labeled render.

greg.mcdowell
2009-01-05, 11:07 PM
If I'm reading you correctly it loks like you've got everythign you need.

Did you know you can slope a ceiling like you can a roof? It's not quite the same as a roof but similar.

I did a quick similar in Revit. None of the walls are parallel or at right angles to each other and the soffit is sloped about 5 degress from the back wall.

dhurtubise
2009-01-06, 04:42 PM
Like Greg mention, a floor will allow you to use a slope arrow.

SupremeTaco
2009-01-06, 06:48 PM
If I'm reading you correctly it loks like you've got everythign you need.

Did you know you can slope a ceiling like you can a roof? It's not quite the same as a roof but similar.

I did a quick similar in Revit. None of the walls are parallel or at right angles to each other and the soffit is sloped about 5 degress from the back wall.

Could you possibly attach that file you've made? It looks like that is a floor object, which would make perfect sense and be easy to just select the walls to create it. However, I'm trying to take wall "1," create a sloped ceiling at a known slope down from there, and have the top of wall "2" attach to that ceiling. I'm still messing around with it in Revit, so I'll be sure to post back on here if I figure it out to let you know.

Thanks!

greg.mcdowell
2009-01-06, 08:20 PM
I used a ceiling and did attach the base of the wall at the edge to the ceiling.

File attached.

SupremeTaco
2009-01-06, 09:32 PM
I used a ceiling and did attach the base of the wall at the edge to the ceiling.

File attached.

Ah, okay this makes sense. I should have something on here to show you when I get mine done shortly!

SupremeTaco
2009-01-07, 05:42 PM
Awesome! This forum rocks...