PDA

View Full Version : Structure Edit in Wall Properties

Jarod
2004-10-11, 02:15 PM
I have modified the bottom of one of my outer boundaries on a material by turning off the padlock. I was told that by doing this I can now change the elevation of that material separate from the other materials. I pretty sure I use a work plane for this but having troubles getting it to work.

SkiSouth
2004-10-11, 02:22 PM
when you select the wall in the project, right click to get to properties. look for the "base extension distance." If it is not "greyed out" for this wall, first you have set the wall type up correctly. Second, now simply type in an extension distance - positive offsets above level, negative offsets below level.

Jarod
2004-10-11, 02:26 PM
Awesome! How do you guys find this stuff and how it works?!?!

SkiSouth
2004-10-11, 02:31 PM
Awesome! How do you guys find this stuff and how it works?!?!

Much pain and suffering :smile: - or ask on AUGI!!!! ;-) Seriously you need to work the tutorials if you haven't. This ain't no AutoCAD.....

Phil Palmer
2004-10-11, 02:38 PM
You also have the ability to TAB and select the 'shape handle' for the material in a section view and drag it that way (or even align it to some other geommetry)

I just hope we can have the ability to do this with each component in walls as this will save tons of time with the edit cut profile command.

aaronrumple
2004-10-11, 02:52 PM
Agreed. It also looks like 7.0 is starting to add in some different glyphs for objects so maybe when we tab we'll also get a nice icon instead of just the edge highlighting in red.

Jarod
2004-10-11, 04:04 PM
You also have the ability to TAB and select the 'shape handle' for the material in a section view and drag it that way (or even align it to some other geommetry)
The TAB Key is Wonderful! Use it for other selection stuff just didn't think of it for this.

Jarod
2004-10-11, 04:09 PM
Got another issue, I don't want the brick to go to the roof. When I attach it to the roof the brick material always follows and than I can't get it to back to where I want it.

aaronrumple
2004-10-11, 04:35 PM
Make the wall tall enough to intersect the roof. Then use the join geometry tool to clean up the material intersection of the two.

Chad Smith
2004-10-11, 09:44 PM
Try the 'Edit Cut Profile' on the Tools menu. You can shape the wall top to anything you want.

Jarod
2004-10-11, 10:25 PM
Try the 'Edit Cut Profile' on the Tools menu. You can shape the wall top to anything you want.

I tried that and wasn't sure where to draw the lines. I kept getting errors when picking finish.

beegee
2004-10-11, 10:34 PM
Your sketch lines ( magenta ) must touch the profile lines ( yellow ochre), but not continue along them, ( as the top line does currently )

Also, make sure that the TINY blue arrow (that defines where the cut profile occurs ) points into the profile, not outside it. ( If that makes sense )

Jarod
2004-10-12, 02:16 PM
The Edit Cut Profile is a very awkward command. I'm trying to follow what the help system shows and I get very different results sometimes. Very Frustrating....

aaronrumple
2004-10-12, 02:30 PM
The edit cut profile is an "old" command by Revit standards and hasn't really been developed too much. Unfortunatly, it is easy to detach the sketch lines fron the profile and "break" the sketch. Changes are also not reflected in the model. I use this tool spairingly. I prefer to get the model as close as possible first.

Jarod
2004-10-12, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll focus more on the other tools than...