PDA

View Full Version : "Server is busy"....Never seen this warning

SCShell
2009-01-06, 02:25 PM
Hey there
I have been running 2009 for a while now on a 3 or 4 year old machine.....(at least it has 2 gigs of RAM and the original Pentium D Dual Core processor). However, when doing a rendering, and stopping to adjust materials and surface patterns for non-rendered views.......(ie: render appearance & surface pattern colors), I am getting locked up with an error message which says something like "Server is busy, another program is running....." click "retry" or select "start menu" to activate the busy program in order to make adjustments....

Already know the answer, "buy a new machine"...but, thought I would see if anyone else has seen this on a newer machine before I meet with my IT guy?

Thanks
Steve

cliff collins
2009-01-06, 04:33 PM
Sounds like insufficient RAM. Are you using the 3 Gig switch?
(if not do a search on how to use it--just a simple edit to the boot.ini file which
lets your 32 bit OS use more RAM.)

Also, in Task manager--go to Process, right-click fbxooprender, set Priority to Above Normal.
This will let the computer use more available resuorces for rendering.
Then go to performance, and watch the processors and RAM/Paging file usage as it renders.

And, yes--unfortunately it sounds like it's time for a new computer--
64 bit OS w/ lots of RAM and a fast Quad core processor--min. for any serious rendering.

cheers.....

Cathy Hadley
2009-01-06, 04:56 PM
Steve,

check in Task manager under processes and see if fbxosrender.exe is still running after you stopped it. That is mental ray and it sounds like its stuck, try manually stopping it and see if Revit comes back to life?

Just a thought.

Cathy

SCShell
2009-01-06, 05:42 PM
Thank you both. I will investigate these.
Steve

sgoodmansen
2009-01-06, 06:24 PM
Sounds like insufficient RAM. Are you using the 3 Gig switch?
(if not do a search on how to use it--just a simple edit to the boot.ini file which
lets your 32 bit OS use more RAM.)

Also, in Task manager--go to Process, right-click fbxooprender, set Priority to Above Normal.
This will let the computer use more available resuorces for rendering.
Then go to performance, and watch the processors and RAM/Paging file usage as it renders.

And, yes--unfortunately it sounds like it's time for a new computer--
64 bit OS w/ lots of RAM and a fast Quad core processor--min. for any serious rendering.

cheers.....

If he only has 2 GB of Ram what good would the 3GB switch do? On a related note, I have a computer with 3 GB of Ram would the 3 GB switch be of any value to that machine?

cliff collins
2009-01-06, 08:22 PM
Just hinting that he could ADD more ram and use 3G switch on his current outdated machine....as he did not want the standard "buy a new machine" answer....

cheers.......

greg.mcdowell
2009-01-06, 08:34 PM
No to both... you need 4 gig for the switch to work. 3 for you, 1 for the OS (it alwasy needs at least 1 gig, even then there are occasional problems)

kathy71046
2009-03-01, 02:21 AM
I'm getting this error when I open revit by opening a file, and when I "switch to" it goes to the start menu.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

SCShell
2009-03-01, 04:57 PM
Hey there,
Very interesting. I think we may be seeing a bug.
Since I first posted, I have now bought a new computer and I still have seen this error when trying to select Pantone colors within a material's dialog type properties for a colored surface pattern.
And my new computer is blazing fast, XP64, i7 with 4 cores (acts like 8) and 6 gigs of high speed RAM.
Maybe it's time to contact the factory?
Steve

twiceroadsfool
2009-03-01, 05:30 PM
I definetely dont think its hardware related. Im running 2009 on a 4 or 5 year old single core machine, 32 bit, showing 3.25GB of RAM without the 3GS enabled. i render on it with MR without issue, and edit materials / patterns / etc with ease.

Something else is definetely stirring the pot with that setup...

But at least you got some new toys out of the deal! :)

kathy71046
2009-03-02, 01:21 AM
I was wondering if maybe it's having a spaz attack because of pathing being directed at my server?

I tried moving the file onto my harddrive, but I still get the error, are you guys all running with a file server and pathing pointed there from your ini files?

Do all your files that cause the error have a link on the server?

I tried one without a link, and I didn't get the error message.

Can anyone else confirm that it has to do with either Revit or Cad links/overlays?

Best to have as much info as possible to log it for support.