PDA

View Full Version : Unlink a wall from the surface that created it?

bsqwared
2009-01-07, 10:28 PM
So i have created a masonry wall (exterior masonry, airspace, rigid insulation, steel structure backup) that is sloped in section by building a mass and applying the wall by face. Now that the walls are all built, i am trying to separate the structure from the exterior finish, so that when it interfaces with Revit structure there won't be an interference. Unfortunately, i cannot change the location line without changing the position of the wall. I tried pinning the wall, but that doesn't work. Is there a way to, once the wall is built, detach it from the surface that created it so when i change the location line it stays where it is?

Scott Womack
2009-01-08, 11:12 AM
So i have created a masonry wall (exterior masonry, airspace, rigid insulation, steel structure backup) that is sloped in section by building a mass and applying the wall by face. Now that the walls are all built, i am trying to separate the structure from the exterior finish, so that when it interfaces with Revit structure there won't be an interference. Unfortunately, i cannot change the location line without changing the position of the wall. I tried pinning the wall, but that doesn't work. Is there a way to, once the wall is built, detach it from the surface that created it so when i change the location line it stays where it is?

IF the wall is vertical, yes. Unfortunately, when the wall is tilted, or parabolic shaped, the answer is no. When a wall is created with certain forms, it requires that form to maintain that shape, since your wall fits in that catagory, it has to stay attached to the face of the mass.

cliff collins
2009-01-08, 01:39 PM
Scott is correct. The Mass and elements created from it must remain linked.

DO NOT delete the Mass--or you will not be able to edit the elements created from it.

I have posted a Wishlist item to allow "detach element from Mass"--- and I think
there may be mixed feelings about allowing this.

Perhaps a poll is in order?

cheers.......

bsqwared
2009-01-08, 02:27 PM
I definitely think that is a wishlist item. Thanks!