PDA

View Full Version : Grid bubble and text in 3d view

m.thomas
2009-01-08, 03:47 PM
I have created a model linetype and traced grids so that I have the gridlines visible in 3d views.

Is there a way of getting a grid bubble family with text which is visible in 3d ?
I've tried a few things but no luck so far.

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-08, 04:00 PM
Not without modeling something there, as the grid bubble. A Generic Model Family, or something. But it wont be intelligently tied to the grid itself, so youll have to be sure to manually track the grid names and locations, etc...

patricks
2009-01-08, 07:49 PM
I believe the grid number will have to be model text to make it show in 3D, correct?

truevis
2009-01-08, 08:37 PM
Export your grids to DWG and use ACAD's Express Tool txtexp to explode the text into lines. Import DWG origin to origin.

m.thomas
2009-01-09, 10:04 AM
Twiceroadsfool / Patricks,

Thanks, that worked a charm. I had done a generic model with text but text did not show in project ... had forgotten about model text !

I might go with Truevis' solution though as I think it might need less management to have the 3D grids show in selected views only.

Thanks all.

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-09, 01:29 PM
Consider that carefully. With model text (however manual) youll be able to change the numbers and letters of the grids, if you rename or number the actual grids in Revit. Plus, everything is native Revit and is nice and clean.

Going with that method, however efficient for the FIRST distribution of grids, will leave you with excess linetypes and linestyles in your project from Autocad, and then (since its all lines) if and when you need to change a grid notation (have you ever had a project where you DIDNT have to change it?) youll be left either: exploding the dwg and redrafting the lines, or going back in to autocad to change the lines.

If managing the visibility in certain views is an issue, make a new subcatagory for the items in the family when you build it, and establish a view template or 2. One with it on, one with it off. Apply them across the board, and youre done in five minutes...