PDA

View Full Version : Exporting families to CAD

jmaurer
2009-01-08, 09:06 PM
Does anyone know why certain families within a Revit project don't seem to follow export settings when trying to export to CAD? I've used the layer settings in my export options to specify the correct layers and colors. Most of the time this is working ok...except in families where the object is existing. The same family exports correctly for new construction...goes to the right layer and color as a block. But the existing instances of the same object go to a color (and therefore lineweight) that's not listed anywhere I can find. Any help is appreciated.

Scott Womack
2009-01-09, 11:30 AM
I've used the layer settings in my export options to specify the correct layers and colors. Most of the time this is working ok...except in families where the object is existing. The same family exports correctly for new construction...goes to the right layer and color as a block. But the existing instances of the same object go to a color (and therefore lineweight) that's not listed anywhere I can find.

When (in 2009) you are exporting to ACAD, there is an options button in the lower right portion of the dialog box. Opening this brings up the older dialog box, where at the top you select Layer options.There you'd select the bottom item. This may create additional layers for the existing items. Phased objects in Revit are actually handled by Applying Phase Overrides to the objects. No guarantees, but it is worth a try.

jmaurer
2009-01-09, 04:05 PM
It seems that using the "new layers for overrides" option did not work, but the option for "All entities BYLAYER, no overrides" fixed the block color problem. Unfortunately, it also set my dimension style to the AutoCAD standard format, which then had to be adjusted in CAD back to our own office dimension style.

Thanks for the suggestion - it pointed me in the right direction.