PDA

View Full Version : Chop chop chop... chop.

SupremeTaco
2009-01-08, 11:46 PM
Hey guys,

Here's a fun one...

I'm trying to make walls that, as you see in the picture, are not vertical. They are rotated one direction 33.9 degrees, and then they lean inward at 4.5 degrees. Now, I was sort of able to make this happen by making a mass by making a vertical extrusion, then making another and rotating it 33.9, and making another 4.5, and cutting them all into each other, then make the wall from face. But... now I can't have the roof cut them all! As you can see from the other full-height walls in the pic they are cut the the roof, but I don't have any options to do that for my sloped walls :(

Help!

archjake
2009-01-09, 12:02 AM
Hrmm... not seeing a picture...

SupremeTaco
2009-01-09, 12:03 AM
Ah, yes I do that too often in emails as well... Here you go!

archjake
2009-01-09, 12:08 AM
My initial thought is that you'll have to use an in-place void to cut the walls. If the walls were created in-place you go ahead and edit each one and add a void in the appropriate place to chop the tops off.

SupremeTaco
2009-01-09, 12:13 AM
Well, I don't know how to create a void that's at the same angle as the roof... Hell I don't know how to make that roof for that matter. I first made it in 3ds Max, then I imported it into Revit, made roof by footprint, then just pulled the corners up and snapped them to my 3ds max model :D Kind of cheating... the sloped section (and in some parts sectionS) that would be the top of the wall is at multiple angles. If I could just create a mass along an already created face (the roof) that would work, then I could use that mass to crop off the top of the walls. So can I make a mass that automatically aligns with part of my roof?

cliff collins
2009-01-09, 02:12 PM
Can you attach the walls to the roof?
Highlight a wall--then at top of screen select attach,
pick the roof to attach wall to

Does this work?

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-09, 02:53 PM
Sounds like the roof is sloping in two directions... So use a Void Blend based on the front and the back of the roof. It *should* let you, but i cant say for sure without the file.

Of course... I would use the void blend to cut the MASS, and then just remake the walls with wall by face again...

SupremeTaco
2009-01-09, 04:46 PM
Cliff: It won't let me attach it to anything. That has worked with the other walls but since this was created by "wall by face" it won't. Here's the file... I just deleted pretty much everything else in the building 'cause I'd rather not have it flying around the web.

SupremeTaco
2009-01-19, 06:44 PM
*Bump* anybody?

mthurnauer
2009-01-19, 08:24 PM
How about building this in the opposite fashion? Create a thick wall that is attached to the roof and then make angled voids to cut the wall on the angle that you need.

SupremeTaco
2009-01-20, 08:19 PM
Hmm, I'll try that as soon as my license file starts working again, so we'll see.

Anybody else want to take a look at the file I posted and see if they can make it???