PDA

View Full Version : How would YOU do this chimney?

3dway
2009-01-09, 07:20 PM
How would YOU do this chimney?

RE wall joins below and the wall on the roof.

Would you do the walls below the roof overhang and then duplicate those above and edit the profile down onto the roof?

I get some "weirdness" with wall joins when the walls below join with the house, then above, the same wall joins with one on the roof.

I think what's happening here is that it's Friday and I'm more quick to ask, then to think about it.

mrice.47661
2009-01-09, 07:39 PM
Opt 1: Take the above roof and below roof wall approach ... but rather than editing any profiles, attach the top of the walls below the roof to the underside of the roof - and then attach the bottom of the walls above the roof down to the top of the roof.

Opt 2: You could just place a vertical opening down onto the roof where the chimney comes up through the roof. That masonry is going to head down and bear on something below anyhow, right?

3dway
2009-01-09, 09:05 PM
Ah, thank you for what you said there that I didn't think of: attach the bottom to the roof below. For some reason I only think of attaching walls up.

I didn't post this fact but:
This isn't a masonry fireplace. It's a direct vent. We don't do masonry fireplaces. Just about everything here is a factory fireplace, zero clearance unit with a B vent or direct vent if it's gas.

3dway
2009-01-09, 09:08 PM
Actually, as I go back into it... I find you can't attach a bottom of a wall to a roof. I can't use "unconstrained" for a bottom and I get a "top of wall below bottom" error if I try.

Scott D Davis
2009-01-09, 10:04 PM
to attach the bottom of a wall to a roof:

Pick the wall
Pick Attach from the options bar
Then pick the "Base" radio button in the options bar
Now pick the roof that you want to attach the base of the wall to.

barathd
2009-01-09, 10:11 PM
Just cut a hole in the roof as you would in the field.

kevellis
2009-01-09, 10:28 PM
Opt 1: Take the above roof and below roof wall approach ... but rather than editing any profiles, attach the top of the walls below the roof to the underside of the roof - and then attach the bottom of the walls above the roof down to the top of the roof.

Opt 2: You could just place a vertical opening down onto the roof where the chimney comes up through the roof. That masonry is going to head down and bear on something below anyhow, right?

I prefer option 2

As suggested build the walls full height and then cut an opening in the roof for them with a vertical opening.

You may want to try cutting the opening with a "dormer opening" by picking the outside of the walls. this way the opening will change if the walls are adjusted.

3dway
2009-01-20, 10:20 PM
Interesting to discuss framing methods out of this.
Being that we use factory built fireplaces almost always we frame our chimneys. If they have a masonry look it's usually cultured stone.

Our chimney masses (depending on the design) usually go up througha cathedral space, often tend to be free standing and then continue on the roof above. In order to avoid finger jointed lumber or excessive platforming in the chimney wall framing we'll break the chimney enclosure framing at any floor we can, and have girder trusses (at the discresion of the truss supplier/designer) in the roof to carry the framing above.