PDA

View Full Version : Need To Change Door Swing From Right To Left

enq
2009-01-13, 02:07 AM
Hi, is there an easy way to change the door swing?

On my Revit, which is 2009, I can only make the door swing to the right but I need to change some doors to swing to the left. I am using a single interior door that is 910 x 2110 mm.

I've heard you need to alter something to do with families or other, but I am not very clued up on changing families etc as I have only been using the program for a day or so and am very much new to designing.

I was hoping there would be a simple way of being able to achieve changing the door swing direction! I've used a cheaper software in the past and it was just a case of clicking a button to choose the swing direction.

What is the easiest way to do this without getting too technical? Thanks for any help on this matter.

Kirk

rmejia
2009-01-13, 02:29 AM
If you select the door and press the space bar it should flip around. The door when selected should have some blue arrows, click those and the object will change direction. They are called "Control" in the family editor, and have two blue arrows going in opposite directions.

enq
2009-01-13, 03:26 AM
Thanks so much for that!! I was there for hours trying to work out how to make the change. Now everything is as it should be for now.

Thank you

Kirk

ws
2009-01-13, 10:36 AM
Note that unlike in some (most? ;) ) other cad software, in Revit the other set of blue arrows you can see beside a door in plan view flip the door itself, not just the doorswing lines, from inside to outside.

Took me a while to figure that out when I first started.

Not a problem on internal doors but a nuisance on external doors.

And if you haven't yet come across it, the position within the wall of external doorframes is controlled by the parameter 'FrameOffset- External' - it's listed if you open the door's Properties and then click on the Edit/New button.

enq
2009-01-13, 03:26 PM
Thank you for that additional input William!

Revit is going to be a big learning curve for me but I am determined to take this bull by the horns no matter what.

William, can I ask, as I see you are also in the UK, when you set out your elevation levels etc, do you have any particular standard measurements that you work to in millimetres? For example, I am designing a 3 bedroom semi detached house at the moment and I wondered if I have my level measurements correct.

I have set it out by having my foundation at -900 mm, from ground level (0) to dpc is 150 mm, and then 2700 mm to first floor level and wall plates on second floor are at 5400 mm

In short, for building a house now in the UK, and adhering to all the current building regs, is there a set of standard measurements as a designer that I ought to be working to?

I'm sure I've asked this question somewhere before but need to know UK details.

Thanks in advance

Kirk

ws
2009-01-13, 05:38 PM
Your levels are reasonable for most domestic design.

There are currently no height standards for domestic accommodation in the UK.

7' 6" used to be common - approximately 2300 mm but I like to think of that as a minimum these days. In larger rooms 9' was often used - 2700 mm.

I mainly do one off residential design work but if you are using standard stairs for example in multiple housing it might be worth a look at the range of heights they work to. From memory a floor to floor height of 2600 mm was fairly common with 13 risers (a bit steep but legal).

Depths to top of foundation from external ground level we tend to use a nominal 600 mm in our very rocky part of the World but elsewhere in more clay type soils I think 900 mm or more is common.

The ancient minimum height of 6" - 150 mm - for dpc above external ground level which you mentioned is enforced and I think 125 mm minimum air gap under timber joists above oversite concrete at ground floor - not that we see many suspended timber ground floors these days.

You can find all the UK Building Regulations online for free download in pdf format - they are usually easy to find via a Google search on 'planning portal' or building regulations'.

I hope that is some help.

enq
2009-01-13, 05:49 PM
William, that is fantastic info and highly appreciated!

Kirk