PDA

View Full Version : Views and Viewports?

bsqwared
2009-01-13, 09:48 PM
Ok, so this question has been asked about 100 different ways on this forum, but I am still uncertain whether or not the answers pertain to what i am looking for. Here goes:

We have set up a model in Revit and have views set up for each floor. I will call these working views, as they are what we use to do most of the modeling. On the sheets, we drag and drop each level from the working views to create a viewport for the plans, sections, elevations. The working views are always changing, with the team members turning things on and off as needed to model the parts of the building on their worksets. The viewports then change with these working views, which implies that Revit expects you to be done with your model before outputting anything. Is there anyway to set the viewport visibility settings once and keep them separate from the working view visibility settings? It seems ridiculous that we can do so many other high powered things with this program but have to "apply default view templates" every time we need to print. Can't we just do this once for the sheets and be done with it, while still being able to work on the model in the working views and not screw anything up? I have gathered most of the workarounds from all of your wonderful posts, but i am just having a hard time believing that something as simple as locking a viewport should be this complicated.

mwiggins121466
2009-01-13, 09:52 PM
We use working views for modeling and "documentation views" for printing/annotating.

Dimitri Harvalias
2009-01-14, 06:13 AM
As Margaret suggested, the best approach I've found is to create working views, either for the group as a whole or for each individual in the workgroup, and do all modeling in those views. Users are free to change whatever settings they require to enable the modeling process.
'Sheet' views or output views are created and placed on sheets. Once on a sheet, view templates can be applied and, I would suggest, any annotation changes are made from an active viewport on the sheet. Users should not adjust any view settings on these views once they are placed on a sheet and this assures everyone can rely on the consistency of the output from final plotted sheets.

tomnewsom
2009-01-14, 10:59 AM
The working views are always changing, with the team members turning things on and off as needed to model the parts of the building on their worksets. The viewports then change with these working views, which implies that Revit expects you to be done with your model before outputting anything.

You simply create new views for placing on your sheet (View, New, Floor Plan - Uncheck 'Do not duplicate existing views'). There is nothing stopping you having 100 views for "Level 0: Ground Floor" for example. Each one can have different view settings and scales. Working views should NEVER go on a sheet, for the very reasons you describe!