PDA

View Full Version : Phasing Grey Colour - I actually did search

3dway
2009-01-15, 03:24 PM
All of my search results seemed to be from 2004 or unrelated. This leaves me hopeful that it's been resolved in recent releases.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=8396&highlight=existing+grey+hidden+line
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2977&highlight=existing+grey+hidden+line

I'm trying work with the phasing graphic overrides. I would like my plans to show grey fill for cut walls and anything in projection beyond for all existing items, while in hidden line view. At the same time I would like all new to show with white fill.

I tried going to shaded with lines view and setting the fill colour for new to override as white and then all of the existing grey, but for some reason it changes the way lines are displayed. I see all of my "edit cut profile" sketches as green and the wall detail is more or less gone. This was with "no override" set for everything then only cut fill set white for new.

Is the tranparent solid fill on the sheet really the only way to do this?

muttlieb
2009-01-15, 04:21 PM
1. In your wall properties, set the cut pattern of the stud layer to solid and white color.

2. In the view you want existing to show grey and new white, set up a phase filter with existing set to ‘Overridden’ and new ‘By Category’

3. On the Graphic Overrides tab, modify the Projection/Surface and Cut Lines and Patterns to the grey color you want. Make sure there is no Material graphic override.

3dway
2009-01-15, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have with this method, is that my materials will all be set to white and I can't be flipping materials back and forth to render a perspective then to print floor plans.

The other problem that I've discovered is, if you set the floor plan to shaded with edges, you print using raster images. I don't imagine that this will be good if I have to do a whole set of drawings.

I just can't understand why I can't set the colour override to white and the material override to "no material" on the right of the override dialogue, and the shaded overrides white.

Regardless, this doesn't help me in hidden line. I have to do a transparent fill area. I would prefer that Revit did it automatically. The capability seems like it's almos there in shaded views. I don't like having to cut in around, say, a new window in an existing wall.

muttlieb
2009-01-15, 04:51 PM
I guess I don't understand what you're trying to do then. Can you post an image? Did you actually try the method I posted? It will not turn your materials white. And I'm not sure how the shaded view/printing with raster images has to do with this problem? I thought you were interested in hidden line view?

Dean Camlin
2009-01-15, 06:50 PM
I think what you actually want to do is: In Settings > Materials, make sure the cut pattern for your material called "Phase-Exist" is set to solid. Then, any Existing-phase walls should show solid (gray, by default), while New Construction-phase walls will show whatever patterns you have set for them.

Scott Womack
2009-01-15, 09:47 PM
The problem I have with this method, is that my materials will all be set to white and I can't be flipping materials back and forth to render a perspective then to print floor plans.

I just can't understand why I can't set the colour override to white and the material override to "no material" on the right of the override dialogue, and the shaded overrides white.

Regardless, this doesn't help me in hidden line. I have to do a transparent fill area. I would prefer that Revit did it automatically. The capability seems like it's almost there in shaded views. I don't like having to cut in around, say, a new window in an existing wall.

Part of the issue is that Filters do not work "by phase". The only work-a-round I have found is to have the existing walls on say "Existing Building" Workset, then the new wals on some other workset. You can set a filter to do so by workset. Then you'll have more control.

3dway
2009-01-16, 06:17 PM
I think what you actually want to do is: In Settings > Materials, make sure the cut pattern for your material called "Phase-Exist" is set to solid. Then, any Existing-phase walls should show solid (gray, by default), while New Construction-phase walls will show whatever patterns you have set for them.

This is what I want to do, but when I do this and override with a pattern, the wall detail goes away and all the edit/cut profile sketches become broken the way they look when you draw them at, say, "fine", then change the view to course. Is there some way that the override is changing the detail level too?

Dean Camlin
2009-01-16, 06:41 PM
Try it without any graphic overrides first & see if that does what you want. I normally don't use any individual graphic overrides to show phasing. Please see the attached example. In this, the existing elements are all gray; demolished items are blue, with a dotted line style; the new ones are without any overrides. Phasing is set to "show all."

muttlieb
2009-01-16, 06:43 PM
Is this what you want? Existing walls are grey, new walls are white, wall detail remains.

3dway
2009-01-16, 07:33 PM
Is this what you want? Existing walls are grey, new walls are white, wall detail remains.

Yes. That is it. Actually I'd also like to ask you how you got the core to be a heavy line and the rest to be light.

Additional to what you have shown here, I might try to have the grey over existing floor and toilets etc.

muttlieb
2009-01-16, 08:10 PM
Yes. That is it. Actually I'd also like to ask you how you got the core to be a heavy line and the rest to be light.
That's what I thought. ;) To modify the wall layers line weight, go to Visibility/Graphic Overrides and check the Cut Line Styles Box under Override Host Layers. Click the Edit button and you can customize the layer line weights.

3dway
2009-01-19, 01:20 PM
That's what I thought. ;) To modify the wall layers line weight, go to Visibility/Graphic Overrides and check the Cut Line Styles Box under Override Host Layers. Click the Edit button and you can customize the layer line weights.

I looked back to your earlier post muttlieb. I sounded like you've set all the materials for your models to white. So if you render this, everything will turn up white won't it? If you rendered a 3d view with a section box cutting the model, would it be white?

Is your view set to shaded? or hidden line?

I think I need a bit of a walkthrough of what you've done.

This helps, I think, since the fiddly bits are taken care of automatically... little infill walls etc. I could easily use a fill area over the floors and any existing fixtures.

3dway
2009-01-19, 03:14 PM
I think I'm set up the same.
All my materials are set to show white in shaded.
The render appearance remains what it is.
The only downside I see right now is having to output plans from a shaded view with raster printing. Probably not a big deal, since we send PDFs to the printer anyhow. Not sure what effect this has on printing a whole set. Is it slower?

patricks
2009-01-19, 03:18 PM
In our template, the Phase-Existing material is set with no surface pattern, and a solid fill cut pattern. Then under Phases > Graphic Overrides, the surface pattern for existing objects is set to 127 Gray color, with no pattern override. The cut pattern is set to solid fill pattern override in 127 Gray color.

This makes all existing walls and other objects appear solid gray, and new walls appear normally when the view is set to Show Previous + New.

If you're going to be rendering any 3D views, set that view to Show Complete, and make sure the Show Complete phase filter has all objects set to show By Category.

muttlieb
2009-01-19, 04:13 PM
I looked back to your earlier post muttlieb. I sounded like you've set all the materials for your models to white. So if you render this, everything will turn up white won't it?
No, I haven't set all the materials to white. I've only set the *cut pattern* to the color I want. In a proposed view, I set existing walls to white cut pattern and grey cut lines, and new walls to grey infill, but the concept is the same as I described earlier. In a rendered view, the materials render correctly, not white.

If you rendered a 3d view with a section box cutting the model, would it be white?
Are you talking about a rendered section with the cut pattern of the wall rendering white, or the materials? As I said, materials render correctly with my method. But if you having different results, just set the phase filter of your rendered view to 'show complete'. That should render all materials as 'by category'.

Is your view set to shaded? or hidden line?
I virtually always use hidden line graphics style for my floor plan views. If you need shaded, this method may not work for you.

iandidesign
2009-01-20, 05:11 PM
To modify the wall layers line weight, go to Visibility/Graphic Overrides and check the Cut Line Styles Box under Override Host Layers. Click the Edit button and you can customize the layer line weights.

That’s news to me. Thanks. I too prefer the core boundary to have the heavier line weight. Why isn’t this setting in Object Styles so we can make it a global default?

3dway
2009-01-20, 10:14 PM
I think I got it figured out. I had to check about four or five places where a pattern can be specified. It looks and behaves, generally the way I want except one thing.

I now have the cut patterns of wall materials set to white.
I have a wall type legend that I've done using little actual walls in a legend phase after new construction.
These will be at a smaller scale (closer scale, detail scale). In these I would like the wall hatch patterns to show. If I change my wall materials to have hatch patterns, they show in the 3/16" = 1'-0" plan and junk up my lineweights. Then if I try to override new with a solid fill pattern using the phase setting, it wipes out my wall lines.

I'm really struggling with Revit's graphics.

Right now I could get by - if I use fill areas on my wall type legend... and I suppose my details when I get to them.