PDA

View Full Version : Curved Sloped Slab by Slab Points

pwilson.112560
2009-01-16, 11:55 PM
Hi All -

I'm working on a large theatre with complex curving slabs - see the attached pdf. For the rows of the balcony, I have been able to model the slope using slab points. Since these rows have parallel arcs, the slopes work cleanly.

For the top row, however, the additional slab vertices around the columns are wreaking havoc on my normal process. Rather than taking the time to calculate the elevations at those vertices, is there an easier way? I thought about modeling a larger mass with parallel edges, subtracting the areas I don't need, and using floor by face - but you can't use slab point on a mass.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Peter

christo4robin
2009-01-17, 04:34 AM
Brainstorming here... Why don't you model the floor object to a consistent radius that lies behind the columns and the furthest point of the scalloped walls. Thus your vertices are easy to calculate. Then, use an opening object (modeling menu, opening, vertical opening in floor) and sketch around the columns/scallops.

Perhaps voila!!??

tomnewsom
2009-01-19, 12:43 PM
In place family time, I think.

OR

Model each differently-sloped section as individual floors, then use Shaft Openings to cut out the tricky shapes.

patricks
2009-01-19, 01:04 PM
I would just do vertical openings in the floor, NOT a shaft opening. Shaft openings cut through every floor object they touch, and are not the best option when you're only trying to cut a single floor object.

pwilson.112560
2009-01-19, 05:31 PM
Thanks - I had never used a vertical opening in a floor before, so I didn't even think of that as an option. Works like a charm.

Cheers,
Pete