PDA

View Full Version : Exporting to AutoCAD: Fonts

J. Grouchy
2009-01-19, 02:44 PM
I know there is a way to map fonts from AutoCAD shx fonts to TrueType fonts in Revit...but is there way to do the reverse (ie map Revit fonts to AutoCAD shx fonts during export)? My issue is the fact that RomanS TrueType font and romans.shx do not appear the same when plotting...the TrueType font plots thinner and lighter and makes reproductions too difficult to read.

If it's not possible to map to an shx font, is there a way to change the fonts globally in a file instead of having to change each note? It's been a LONG time since I really worked in AutoCAD, so forgive me if that is a silly question.

William Troeak
2009-01-19, 04:12 PM
As long as all of the text is the same text style (or you have just a few text styles) all you need to do is go to the text style manager and change the font. Once you change it in the text style manager all of the text in that style will also change.

J. Grouchy
2009-01-19, 04:44 PM
As long as all of the text is the same text style (or you have just a few text styles) all you need to do is go to the text style manager and change the font. Once you change it in the text style manager all of the text in that style will also change.

Nope...that doesn't work on existing text.

William Troeak
2009-01-19, 05:18 PM
Sure it does I just did it on an old drawing of mine.

Maybe there is another issue going on.

J. Grouchy
2009-01-19, 06:02 PM
Sure it does I just did it on an old drawing of mine.

Maybe there is another issue going on.

I don't know what to tell you...changing the style doesn't change the font in my drawing.

in the Properties, under "Contents" it says the following:
\fRomanS|d0|i0|c0|p2;\W.9;<the text of the note>

The font still shows as the TrueType RomanS, which does not plot the same as the SHX RomanS font.

CADKitty
2009-01-19, 06:17 PM
I don't know what to tell you...changing the style doesn't change the font in my drawing.

The font still shows as the TrueType RomanS, which does not plot the same as the SHX RomanS font.
Right - it won't update what's already typed.

Best method is to go to Properties>Quick Select>choose text (mtext, I'm guessing)>filter by font or text style. Once you have it all grabbed change the font/text style all at once to what you want it to use.

If that doesn't work, email me. :mrgreen:

J. Grouchy
2009-01-19, 06:45 PM
Right - it won't update what's already typed.

Best method is to go to Properties>Quick Select>choose text (mtext, I'm guessing)>filter by font or text style. Once you have it all grabbed change the font/text style all at once to what you want it to use.

If that doesn't work, email me. :mrgreen:

Nope. Trying to change the "style" has no effect. Trying to change the "content" just cycles me through each text note and requires me to manually change the font of each note (exactly what I was trying to avoid).

Thanks anyway...

jaberwok
2009-01-19, 08:52 PM
This may jUSt help if you can remember how to load and run a lisp routine.
You need all text to be in a named style though and with MText you don't have to use a named style so it still may not work.

[I did put it in code tags but it's too many characters for a forum message.]

J. Grouchy
2009-01-20, 03:49 PM
Got sent a link to a great little LSP (StripMtext) which seems to do the job. Once the Revit-assigned font overrides are stripped away, it goes back to "Standard" which can be changed and will globally update the font in a file.

cliff collins
2009-01-20, 04:03 PM
This sounds like a post for the Autocad Forums...........................

cheers........

vgonzales
2009-01-20, 04:24 PM
Got sent a link to a great little LSP (StripMtext) which seems to do the job. Once the Revit-assigned font overrides are stripped away, it goes back to "Standard" which can be changed and will globally update the font in a file.

Ah good old Stripmtext. Thank god I don't use autocad anymore.

DaveP
2009-01-20, 06:43 PM

I filed that as a Wish List item several years ago.
Not only does Revit assign a Revit Text Style to an AutoCAD Text Style, but it also make it MText and specifically make each part of the string in that font. That's what the part \fRomanS does.
It uses an AutoCAD feature that lets you use different fonts within a single string.
I don't know why Revit uses both the Text Style AND the "inside the string" font, but you're right - it does make it impossible to change globally.

The StripMText routine will fix it but I wish Revit would either not use the font string, or give us the ability to use "MText" within Revit. Since we can't change fonts within a string, there's no reason to use in when Exporting.

J. Grouchy
2009-01-20, 07:23 PM
I filed that as a Wish List item several years ago.
Not only does Revit assign a Revit Text Style to an AutoCAD Text Style, but it also make it MText and specifically make each part of the string in that font. That's what the part \fRomanS does.
It uses an AutoCAD feature that lets you use different fonts within a single string.
I don't know why Revit uses both the Text Style AND the "inside the string" font, but you're right - it does make it impossible to change globally.

The StripMText routine will fix it but I wish Revit would either not use the font string, or give us the ability to use "MText" within Revit. Since we can't change fonts within a string, there's no reason to use in when Exporting.

Better yet...allow users to map Revit fonts to AutoCAD shx fonts during export.

J. Grouchy
2009-01-20, 07:24 PM
Ah good old Stripmtext. Thank god I don't use autocad anymore.

Unfortunately, I still need to from time to time. It's unavoidable.

mzabritski
2009-02-09, 07:45 PM
Does anyone have a link to the stripmtxt.lsp file? We are having similar problems when trying to export Revit files to AutoCAD and make them compatible with the NCS.

EDIT...

Nevermind. When I ran a google search on stripmtxt.lsp, I got 1 hit... this thread. Kind of scary for google to find only 1 hit. Changed it to stripmtext.lsp and got the usual 1000+ hits.