PDA

View Full Version : Revit 7 Preview Guide

christie.landry
2004-10-12, 10:35 PM
OK Guys,
You've waited long enough. I've attached the Preview Guide. I'm sure you've all already seen it on other web sites, but just in case you haven't.

It's an awesome release!

I hope you enjoy!

BomberAIA
2004-10-13, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the preview. This release looks more advanced than any other release. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm excited about the improvements in Groups, since I work on alot of multifamily projects.

Les Therrien
2004-10-13, 12:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, is this all the enhancements, or just the main features?

ie: are there any changes in performance, such as reduced lag..?
Just wondering.

now that I've posted my question, I AM SO EXCITED!!!! I CANNOT WAIT TO DOWNLOAD!! It looks awesome. Thanks Revit Team!!!

Cathy Hadley
2004-10-13, 12:50 AM
I was lucky enough to attend the Resellers training session this morning... 1 of 3... it was only 1.5 hour long, but so far all I have to say is...

GET ME SOME CHOCOLATE... its great !!!

A few that I really dig are:

There is a new setting... called advanced graphics... which allow you to add a silhouette to the view... same area where the new shadows are... Awesome. Oh and the linework tool works in perspective as well as many others.

Space bar rotate after component placement... little but nice.

The little controls on the status bar are SWEET... you can select an element, pick the hide/isolate button and choose to hide/isolate object or category... its still temporary, but very nice.

There have been changes to families as well... you can now use an instance parameter in a formula !!! And radial arrays... how kewl is that?

And Roofs... you can now select a curved wall for example and give it slope, you then have control over how many straight sections should be added... (if you want a true cone shape you still have to build it as before)

You can also, embed walls into walls... it will automatically cut an opening for the embedded wall... seems very useful, it will work with curtain walls, so storefronts just got a ton easier.

Anyway.. I just wanted to say to the Revit Team.. WOW and thanks... This release is not the answer to all our Wishlist items, but I think its a MAJOR release and can't wait for tomorrows training session....

CZH

zanzibarbob7
2004-10-13, 02:03 AM
Your post was the highlight of my day. After a day several hours on projects seeing what's coming is an inspiration.

I work on two screens and look forward to that interactive capability. Hope so, in the next version.

GuyR
2004-10-13, 03:53 AM
There have been changes to families as well... you can now use an instance parameter in a formula !!!

You can do this in V6.1

Guy

gregcashen
2004-10-13, 06:07 AM
Space bar rotate after component placement... little but nice.

Is this different from Space bar rotate before placement, which is possible now?

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-13, 06:45 AM
You can do this in V6.1

GuyNot in conjunction with type based parameters though...
Greg I think you are right...different from, at least that's how I took it...

GuyR
2004-10-13, 07:22 AM
Not in conjunction with type based parameters though...

Yes you can. See attached.

What you can't do is use an instance parameter to define a type parameter which makes sense. And I can't see the logic in allowing this either. By definition the type parameter would now become an instance parameter anyway so what would be the point?

Perhaps it's something else...

guy

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-13, 07:28 AM
...Yes you can. See attached...What you can't do is use an instance parameter to define a type parameter...We're saying the "same" thing, or at least that's what I was thinking as I wrote my response.

Guess we'll have to wait to see what it actually means, eh?

GuyR
2004-10-13, 07:59 AM
Guess we'll have to wait to see what it actually means, eh?

I doubt it could beat the nested families by parameter. That is definitely a feature

Will be interesting to see how these schedule.

Guy

Nic M.
2004-10-13, 08:20 AM
I see lots of work when looking at the new features (work is good eh specially when its new)
the new family types dlg box (how to implement it in my current families)
the nested families...
the new curtain wall...
the new schedule possibilities..
the building maker ...
The new presentation possibilities...

so much to do and cant wait to do it
"thanks" factory men/woman (are there actually factory woman?)

sbrown
2004-10-13, 01:09 PM
"Autodesk 7 includes tools to create walls from linework or faces" Does this mean you can import a dwg and use pick lines to create a wall???? That would be awesome.

gregcashen
2004-10-13, 01:41 PM
That was my understanding when reading this. Very, very cool feature!

Steven Campbell
2004-10-13, 01:50 PM
you can now use an instance parameter in a formula !!!
Formulas with instance parameter previously did not work with 2 point placement families...
So creating a correct open web joist was not possible... now let us just say it is possible...:)

Richard McCarthy
2004-10-13, 02:02 PM
Are there any modeling improvement? or is that all there is ??

J. Grouchy
2004-10-13, 02:11 PM
You can also, embed walls into walls... it will automatically cut an opening for the embedded wall... seems very useful, it will work with curtain walls, so storefronts just got a ton easier.

Sweet...I hope this means that you don't have to cut holes in the walls to place curtain wall elements for storefront. That was a MAJOR irritation...especially since we do so much retail projects.

SCShell
2004-10-13, 02:36 PM
Hey there,
Nice to see this PDF posted finally. I've read it a few times now since last week when I found it on a reseller's website.

I just gotta say, "Great Job!" I really like some of these new features. I like the new presentation tools (section box cut fills, jogged sections, profile/silhouette lines and shadowed hidden line/shaded with edges capability) and I especially appreciate the little time savers such as the view control icons for common tasks which now require dialog boxes and things like the Revision schedule/tag and Legend makers by sheet or project!

I also love that curtain wall will have more flexibility and control with the mullion profile edit feature and that they will act more like 'windows in hosted walls' rather than how you have to cut out a portion of a wall or make new walls around them. This ties into the stacked wall feature nicely too!

The addition of newer RPC objects is a welcomed feature. I am not sure I will use Viz however, as I am really happy with Accurender.

I am not sure what to make of the new Building Maker since I have not really comprehended how it works; however, it sounds like a really helpful tool for allowing you to make radical "conceptual" form modifications while working on the project model simultaneously. If that is the case, Very Cool indeed!. (Kinda like a supercharged design option tool maybe?)

Job well done!!!!
Steve Shell
(Your work is really appreciated around here!)

jarod.tulanowski
2004-10-13, 02:44 PM
I love it!!! it looks like my wish list got a little smaller now. I cant wait to get my hands on it. [edited to abide by your NDA...]

Scott D Davis
2004-10-13, 03:08 PM
Legends are going to be sooo cool! I wonder if we can make a plan view into a legend? This would solve the Key Plan issues.

christie.landry
2004-10-13, 04:01 PM
(are there actually factory woman?)

Of course there are!!! :-)

christie.landry
2004-10-13, 04:09 PM
Are there any modeling improvement? or is that all there is ??

Yes. Here's a few more...

Stacked Wall Types
Curtain Wall Improvements
Curtain Grid Enhancements
Mullion Profiles and Details

tamas
2004-10-13, 04:49 PM
Sweet...I hope this means that you don't have to cut holes in the walls to place curtain wall elements for storefront. That was a MAJOR irritation...especially since we do so much retail projects.
Exactly, this is why we did it. And the embedded wall starts to behave like a window. It follows its host around.

J. Grouchy
2004-10-13, 05:51 PM
Hmmm...the factory must be sending out it's rep's for a pre-release PR campaign in the forums. Heheh...

Good job guys!

FK
2004-10-13, 06:39 PM
Not exactly. Marketers and managers do their campaigning, developers just bask. ;-)

sfaust
2004-10-13, 07:24 PM
developers just bask. ;-)
well bask a little more. just wanted to throw in my applause. from everything i have seen, this is a VERY exciting release! I can't wait to try it out and play! I think you guys have granted just about all of my major wishes!

Eagerly looking forward to the 25th!!!!!!!

SkiSouth
2004-10-13, 08:37 PM
Eagerly looking forward to the 25th!!!!!!!

As excited as we all are, are the server farms ready for the hit that we are apparently going to put on it that day?

Chad Smith
2004-10-13, 10:45 PM
I've hit a slow patch in work at the moment. So maybe for something to do, I could test Revit 7.0 for you. :grin:

Or you could just release it. Go on, you know you want to.

BillyGrey
2004-10-13, 11:13 PM
As excited as we all are, are the server farms ready for the hit that we are apparently going to put on it that day?

Please, just announce the release here an hour or two before the news is publicly released:)

Scott D Davis
2004-10-13, 11:34 PM
Historically, late in the day on the East Coast of the US is when it's released....which means those of us on the West Coast usually get first crack!

david.metcalf
2004-10-14, 12:14 AM
Will training tutorials on the new features be released the same time the dowmloads are available?

beegee
2004-10-14, 12:18 AM
Usually the new tutorials are part of the new Help files - " Learning New Autodesk Revit 7.0 Features "

SkiSouth
2004-10-14, 01:58 AM
Historically, late in the day on the East Coast of the US is when it's released....which means those of us on the West Coast usually get first crack!

Maybe they'll setup a mirror site in Aussie land - You know - they're a day ahead of us... :mrgreen:

tatlin
2004-10-14, 12:11 PM
Who knows? Maybe we'll post at 3 am eastern this time around? :twisted: Also, please note autodesk does not guarantee releasing on a certain date.

FWIW, It usually goes faster when Scott, Scott, Jim, Steve, Jeffrey, et all. are not calling and emailing us all day... "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? ... "OK, now it's up." :razz:

J. Grouchy
2004-10-14, 12:46 PM
Geez...I don't think a matter of hours...or even a day or two...will really be that big of a deal. Simma' down now!

tatlin
2004-10-14, 12:57 PM
developers just bask. ;-)
Bask time is over! <cracks whip> Back to work on 8! ;-)

Nic M.
2004-10-14, 01:37 PM
Bask time is over! <cracks whip> Back to work on 8! ;-)

8 ?!!
Do you mean 7.1 is also finished?
so when will it be released and, and what new features does it have, can you post a pic?? please, please, please...

sorry,
Ok back in control now
shortened the Leach a little so wont happen again

Prodev75
2004-10-14, 02:35 PM
OCTOBER 25, 2004 8:00PM

(Start of the business day)

I can see it now Revit Users running into the office in the morning, trying to squeeze past the revolving doors. The department manager turns around to see his Revit team running through the door towards him…

Boss "Good morning…Hey why are you running?"

Revit User " I gotta get to the computer. I need to download!!!"

Boss "Well don’t knock over the printer. What are you downloading anyway?"

******printer falls over and crashes to the floor in the background, and someone loses their shoe********

Revit User "AUTODESK REVIT 7!!!"

Boss"REVIT 7? "

*****Boss takes off running through the office along side his employee*****
*****Boss pushes Revit User to the floor*****

Boss"Get out of my way son."

Scott D Davis
2004-10-14, 03:47 PM
FWIW, It usually goes faster when Scott, Scott, Jim, Steve, Jeffrey, et all. are not calling and emailing us all day... "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? "NO." "is it up yet? ... "OK, now it's up." :razz:What? Me, call you? And bug you when you are so busy? I would never.....:rolleyes:

(is it up yet?)

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-14, 04:00 PM
...FWIW, It usually goes faster when Scott, Scott, Jim, Steve, Jeffrey, et all. are not calling and emailing us all day...I only use email...:razz: I have a spam service take care of it for me, they guarantee 50 an hour. Besides calling would be over the top! ;-)

christie.landry
2004-10-14, 06:30 PM
[I can see it now Revit Users running into the office in the morning, trying to squeeze past the revolving doors. The department manager turns around to see his Revit team running through the door towards him…

Oh make NO mistake...
It's worth running for.

Nevine
2004-10-15, 02:28 AM
"!!! And radial arrays... " in families...really...really...there is a God....