PDA

View Full Version : Railing on Curved Sloped Slab

pwilson.112560
2009-01-19, 05:19 PM
Hi All -

I'm working on a theatre where the balcony rows slope along a curved line; to make this work in the floors, I'm manipulating the slab points. See the attached sketch, that shows how the slope changes from flat to 0.5% to 1.0% around the curve of the balcony.

For the balcony front, I was planning on using a railing, as there are objects that repeat every 10 feet or so. The railing, however, won't host to the warped slab. Do y'all have any thoughts about the best workaround for this? The project architect wants to try multiple versions of the different slopes and see how the railings work, so building an in-place family for each would be time-consuming and less than ideal.

Thanks,
Pete Wilson

kevellis
2009-01-19, 06:58 PM
Have you tried a ramp?

pwilson.112560
2009-01-19, 08:36 PM
Didn't realize that you could now do ramps with a curved slope arrow - thanks for making me look more closely. It's still a bit tricky since each ramp will have to have their own railing over the three different slopes, but it's much more workable than what I had been doing.

It does lose floor capabilities, though - attaching walls, getting spot elevations, cutting vertical openings through it....not to mention scheduling. Any way to get both done?

Cheers,
Pete