PDA

View Full Version : Groups and instance parameters

Wes Macaulay
2009-01-19, 10:29 PM
At our office, the autonumbering of doors in Revit is what we call a non-feature. It tends to drive us bonkers.

So we opted to create a new custom shared parameter called i-Mark which tells us that this is the instance parameter for the door. Plop in the tag and it ALWAYS stays blank, which is great.

The bad news: other than the Mark parameter, any other instance parameter will be shared between objects which are grouped. So each instance of a door that is in a group can have its own Mark value, but all those other instance parameters will be shared! So the i-Mark parameter we created? Useless when the door is in a group.

I think this is a drag and I would love to see it changed.

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-19, 11:06 PM
That would be extremely problematic for me, personally. Many times ill group something like a Tenant Restroom, and i WANT the Instance Parameters to populate through all the identical group instances. Becuase theyre all the same door, but not in the sense that i want to manage Family Types over it...

mruehr
2009-01-19, 11:45 PM
This would not work for me
What would work is being able to tell a shared Parameter to be an instance in a group like the Mark Value.