PDA

View Full Version : Painting walls in phases

f.ribeiro
2009-01-20, 06:20 PM
Hello

So this is the situation:

1. existing wall in phase EXISTING
2. in phase NEW I need to paint it until half of its heigh.

Split face - shows in EXISTING
Thin wall incorporated in the existing wall will subtract existing wall in EXISTING
Filled region covers 3d elements.

Can someone post the best way of doing this because I sure can't figure it out.

Thank you

cliff collins
2009-01-21, 05:16 PM
One way would be to create a new "wall" that is actually only the New Paint.

Make a new wall type called Paint Only--make it 1/16" thick.

Place it against the existing wall in the New Phase.

Make it half the height of the existing wall.

Done.

cheers..........

Scott Womack
2009-01-21, 05:28 PM
Hello

So this is the situation:

1. existing wall in phase EXISTING
2. in phase NEW I need to paint it until half of its heigh.

Split face - shows in EXISTING
Thin wall incorporated in the existing wall will subtract existing wall in EXISTING
Filled region covers 3d elements.

Painting does not work by phase. It is the same wall in both phases, so it is the same surface, etc. To change the "painted" materials you'd have to use Design Options.

As for the filled regions, you could make them transparent, so 3D objects could show through.

It is not really clear what you are trying to achieve, by "painting" the walls surfaces.

fernando
2009-01-21, 06:41 PM
If the thin wall is created in 2 fase and master wall in 1fase, i had no problem at all to get the solution you ask for.

fernando
2009-01-21, 06:47 PM
An example.

saeborne
2009-01-21, 06:50 PM
Painting does not work by phase. It is the same wall in both phases, so it is the same surface, etc. To change the "painted" materials you'd have to use Design Options.

As for the filled regions, you could make them transparent, so 3D objects could show through.

It is not really clear what you are trying to achieve, by "painting" the walls surfaces.

This is quite a pickle. I suppose you could imbed "Hidden" phases:

Phase 1 ---> Existing wall
Phase 1.1 ---> Demo that existing wall
Phase 1.2 ---> Build the exact same wall again
Phase 2 ----> Split face / Paint the wall

This method is really, really clunky. Also, I've found that walls built on exactly the same locations across different Phases, can still effect each other in wall join conditions. On second thought... this idea sucks.

f.ribeiro
2009-01-21, 09:40 PM

I need to show that an existing wall will be painted as part of the works to be carried out.

If the thin wall is created in 2 fase and master wall in 1fase, i had no problem at all to get the solution you ask for.

Would it show both red and yellow overimposed ?(being red-NEW and yellow-DEMOLISHED)

Thanks for all the replays.

I'll have a go with design options to se how it works for me.

arqt49
2009-01-22, 10:15 AM
Would it show both red and yellow overimposed ?(being red-NEW and yellow-DEMOLISHED)

No, only the new thin wall will show red. If you don't touch (demolish) the existing wall, it's color won't be overridden.
It's a stupid solution, but maybe it's the only solution.