PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Tutorial 1.

beegee
2004-10-13, 03:39 AM
One of our rendering gurus, Skisouth, has generously spent time preparing a series of tutorials on enhancing presentation graphics using Photoshop.

In this first tutorial, ski introduces duplicating and stacking layers and applying filters and brushes to those layers.

I personally find these methods very satisfying to experiment with Revit’s in-house renders and shaded views. I think they produce impressive results with relatively minimum effort. Certainly something that would please the boss or that demanding client.

Thanks for taking the time to produce this Ski, I’m looking forward to trying these techniques and to learning more in future tutorials.

Note : Give us some feedback on this tutorial. If everyone likes the idea, there's more to come.

Chad Smith
2004-10-13, 05:09 AM
Skisouth, that's pretty good. Photoshop is one of those programs that I just plain suck at, and would love to go do a photoshop crash course and do some digital airbrushing now that I have a pen tablet.

Love to see more.

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-13, 06:42 AM
Nice work!! Thanks for taking the time to present it well!

PeterJ
2004-10-13, 08:28 AM
That's a very good piece of work. Well done.

Merlin
2004-10-13, 09:33 AM
This is SUPERB!...Good stuff, BG and Ski!...Unfortunately I can't download/open/access/save/whatever the 2nd tute pdf file...I just get a blank new explorer window

cheers,
John Mc

SkiSouth
2004-10-13, 11:51 AM
This is SUPERB!...Good stuff, BG and Ski!...Unfortunately I can't download/open/access/save/whatever the 2nd tute pdf file...I just get a blank new explorer window

cheers,
John Mc

If you continue to have download problems, email me and I'll send the tutorial to your email address.

Thanks to Beegee, Martin, and Paul for reviewing and commenting to help "clean up" this tutorial. Comments definitely welcome and wanted on content and presentation: i.e. " this wasn't clear", "how would you do this effect" - etc.

SkiSouth
2004-10-15, 12:44 AM
for those who have downloaded, any feedback?. Need to know if to work on addtional tutorials or call it off... (not to be impatient or anything ) ;)

hand471037
2004-10-15, 01:15 AM
They look good! I'd add in something about creating Actions, and how you can Batch Process single animation frames to quickly generate 'hand-drawn' animations. We've been experimenting with it here and it works really well (and it's much faster than rendering them). I'd do it but I'm too busy right now...

SkiSouth
2004-10-15, 01:32 AM
Jeffrey, you're not gonna get out that easily. Somehow we'll pull that knowledge of yours out to share.
But I'll definitely put it on the to do list. Good suggestion - Thanks.

Alex Page
2004-10-15, 02:29 AM
Excellent work............thanks SOOO much, and please please carry on the good work, I only use photoshop every once in a while, so tut's like this are absolutely invaluable to me

Thanks again, If you're ever in New Zealand, Ill buy you a beer.....!

Chad Smith
2004-10-15, 02:31 AM
I was just thinking. At the step with figure 10, when you create a layer that has a white fill on it. Instead of doing that, you could apply a mask to the layer 'Cutout 7,1,3' that hides all, then using a white paintbrush, paint on the mask layer to reveal the cutout image.
This way if you make a mistake or want to hide some parts that you have already exposed, you could then paint with black.

And like Jeffrey said, actions will cut out a lot of repetitive work.

SkiSouth
2004-10-15, 03:05 AM
You're right there are several ways to approach it. Actually I find the easiest way is to create a new layer, select fill then start erasing. If you don't like it, you just "refill" and start erasing again, but its all in what you're used to doing. This is the process that I used in the vignettes that are posted. Just use the lasso tool with a feather setting....

Actions. I have written a couple of actions for this work already. I started to post them, but then there's no learning the process. So I opted to not do that, maybe later. I felt it was better to explain what I was doing (since its really not hard) and hopefully generate enough interest to get a discussion going.

Thanks for the input, this is great!

funkman
2004-10-15, 03:44 AM
thanks skisouth for all your efforts. I look forward to learning about this.

And I have always wanted to know why you enjoy this program so much!!

Just use the lasso tool with a feather setting....

thanks again

SkiSouth
2004-10-15, 11:22 AM
And I have always wanted to know why you enjoy this program so much!!

yeah that does sound a little off center doesn' t it :) :)

Damo
2004-10-15, 11:47 AM
I've downloaded the 2 tutorials and intend to find a quiet moment this weekend to digest. So whilst I don't have any comments I'd like to forward my appreciation.

SkiSouth
2004-10-15, 12:06 PM
I've downloaded the 2 tutorials and intend to find a quiet moment this weekend to digest. So whilst I don't have any comments I'd like to forward my appreciation.

Yeah, should've waited until after this weekend to post my query, but I work on the tutorials on the weekend, so ---- Thanks for the encouragement, look forward to seeing what comes out of all you Revit gurus getting into Photoshop.

rjjlee
2004-11-19, 07:27 AM
Thanks Skisouth!

Both tutes are great! I've played around with Photoshop, but haven't really gotten the sketchy look till now.

thanks again

SkiSouth
2004-11-20, 03:35 AM
Thanks Skisouth!

Both tutes are great! I've played around with Photoshop, but haven't really gotten the sketchy look till now.

thanks again

More than welcome...

dwall
2008-02-05, 05:09 AM
Just found this tutorial; very useful! Belated thanks for posting it!

SkiSouth
2008-02-07, 12:14 PM
you are more than welcome. Glad it was of use.

kclark.128193
2008-03-04, 06:36 PM
Great tutorial!

Skisouth - Are there any more in this series that have been posted previously??

SkiSouth
2008-03-06, 02:39 AM
There are two tutorials on photoshop - 1 and 2. just look around in the Revit tutorials. Turn the date to "from the beginning" and it should be listed.

charliep
2008-04-28, 08:19 AM
Thanks for your hard work on these tutorials Skisouth - just what I was looking for. I use Paintshop myself but the principles a very clearly explained and easy to adapt.

SkiSouth
2008-04-28, 01:19 PM
Glad you found them useful Charlie.