PDA

View Full Version : duplex floor plans

mhudson
2009-01-20, 08:05 PM
I did a search on the forums but can't seem to find the following addessed in recent years. Is there anyone out there who has succesfully created residential duplex plans in which the floorplans are mirrored. Both plans should be able to update from one source. Is grouping my best bet? Linking to a seperate plan?

Any thoughts or experiences?

cliff collins
2009-01-20, 08:13 PM
Grouping is one way. You may have problems with certain families when mirroring,
like wall hosted fixtures, etc.

Another way is to create a Family of a typical unit with everything in it and load it into the project. Then mirror, or even make two separate families.

However, Groups seem to be the most simple and popular solution for multi-unit projects.

cheers....

dhurtubise
2009-01-20, 11:35 PM
I agree with Cliff, group is gonna be the easiest way to achieve that. Like he mention look for weird things that might happen when you mirror them.

Alex Page
2009-01-21, 01:33 AM
I'm not sure about why one would group them - I would have throught linking them would be the best idea

cliff collins
2009-01-21, 02:09 PM
Good comments:

If the project is a multi-story ( say 4 or more floors ) then Linking a separate Revit model
into a Shell/Core model is ideal.

On a smaller, 1-2 story residential job, Groups will work OK.

Cheers.............

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-21, 03:27 PM
I personally would build one unit as a Link, and then mirror the link.

But, everyone knows i have an affinity for Links and im averse to Groups. :)

mhudson
2009-01-21, 03:37 PM
I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

For larger multi-family projects we have used units in a larger building shell but I was hoping that someone would have had some good experience in grouping or linking an entire structure.

The individual units of the duplex are identical and are also offered as a single home option. So, I built the single home and am a bit baffled on how to use that single building as a duplex.

I have tried grouping the single house and mirroring but there was quite a few errors and the single house actually ungrouped.

I tried linking into a new project but, of course, the mirrored/joined home doesn't automatically 'merge' and I can't make alterations to the roof that needs to be done to create the new duplex roof.

I may need to explore creating the single home without the roof and building the roof in the new duplex project. Party wall will take some futher thought. Maybe something with design options? Can we toggle those when they have been imported?

Any thoughts appreciated and I will relay my experiences if I find a solution.

Thanks,
Mike