PDA

View Full Version : Curtain Wall-Store Front Door

wjspence
2003-08-20, 11:35 PM
Curtain Wall-Store Front-Dbl.rfa

This is a double door that looks like it should go into a curtain wall. I found it in the Imperial Library in the doors directory and edited it to make it look like I want, then loaded it into the project. Now I am unable to put in into the project. When I use the door command it does not show up on the list. Nor does it show up on any list.

What did I miss?

jkendsersky
2003-08-21, 12:08 AM
Select the panel in the curtain wall that you want to insert the door into. From the Type Selector, choose the family type Curtain Wall-Store Front-Dbl.rfa

Steve_Stafford
2003-08-21, 12:11 AM
Curtain wall panels and doors are a different animal. You need to use an elevation of the curtain wall (or 3d view) to select the panel you want to exchange for the door panel. If you imported the family, it's there, just not via the door command. Once the curtain panel is selected the pulldown for object type will include your curtain wall door panel.

You should perhaps, back up a little and run through the curtain wall portions of the tutorials quick. Also you will need to have already placed curtain grids.

wjspence
2003-08-21, 03:59 AM
OK. I finally got it after looking at the tutorial and reading the replies several times. It is really easy once I understand it. But in a way it is not as intuitive as the rest of the program that I have expored so far.

Thanks guys. Reviteers are the greatest.

sbrown
2003-08-21, 01:20 PM
In Revit typically if you think of how something gets built in the real world that is how revit works. So in a curtain wall system a door is just a different type of infill panel, whereas a stud wall a door is a separate system(component).

wjspence
2003-08-21, 03:07 PM
I think it was Jim Balding who made the observation that it is easier to train non-CAD people on Revit than those with extensive experience in CAD. In my own learning experience this is true. I fall into the latter category. When I stumble in Revit, it is usually because I am attempting to accomplish a task using CAD operations instead of thinking about how the program works. The observation above (think of how something gets built in the real world) is a good one to put to the test as a core paradigm for using the tool, and may help in leaping hurdles and getting others in my office up to speed.

Thanks again for the help and also for the insight.