PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Project deletes roof

peakprecisiondesign
2009-01-21, 09:05 PM
Hi All,
I'm attempting to mirror a finished house project but it keeps deleting the roof. I've never had this happen with any other homes I've mirrored. Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening? I'd rather not redo the roof if I can help it :) Thanks

Cole

cliff collins
2009-01-21, 10:05 PM
Does a warning dialog box appear about deleting the roof? If so, what does it say?

Is the roof attached to walls below? If so, try detaching from all walls,
then mirror.

Any luck?

cheers............

peakprecisiondesign
2009-01-22, 04:18 PM
Hi Cliff,
There were a few walls attached to the roof. Detached them all, tried mirroring again and same deal, roof deleted. Just for the heck of it I tried mirroring like four other homes all created the same way and they all worked fine. I've included a screen shot of the error. If anyone has any more ideas I'd be grateful, otherwise I'll just mirror it, and redo the roof. Thanks!

Cole

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-22, 04:24 PM
You shouldnt have to actually REDO the roof... Copy the roof, Edit > Paste same place. Then edit the roof, and try mirroring the sketch about whatever line youre mirroring the house by.

If you have multiple roofs, youll have to do them all, obviously. It aint pretty, but i do that with things that dont like to mirror...

dhurtubise
2009-01-22, 04:24 PM
Did you tried to mirror the roof on it's own?
Any warnings associated to the roofthat you try to mirror?

peakprecisiondesign
2009-01-22, 04:32 PM
You shouldnt have to actually REDO the roof... Copy the roof, Edit > Paste same place. Then edit the roof, and try mirroring the sketch about whatever line youre mirroring the house by.

If you have multiple roofs, youll have to do them all, obviously. It aint pretty, but i do that with things that dont like to mirror...

I'll give it a whirl. As to the "mirroring the sketch about whatever line your mirroring the house by" part though, what does the Mirror Project command mirror about? Is it the center of the model?

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-22, 04:41 PM
i *think* it is an invisible axis through the origin of the project, but im not certain. It should be easy to discern once you Paste Same Place the roof though.

EDIT: The more i think about it, the more im not sure that is going to work. Will "same place" already be mirrored if the model is flipped?

Eeesh...

peakprecisiondesign
2009-01-22, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with the roof. A guy who doesn't work here anymore did this initial home and he sometimes did some screwy things. I tried to mirror the roof by itself and it has an error and deletes it. I opened up some other projects (that I drew) and mirrored the roofs and they mirrored just fine. I did try copying the roof, then mirroring the project, and pasting the roof in the same place, which does work but since this particular roof won't let me mirror it, I'm hosed. Good to know that it can be done that way though :) I think the best bet will just be to delete the roof and redraw it just to get it right (hopefully).

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-22, 05:35 PM
No no... Now that you mirrored the project and pasted same place, try mirroring the sketch. You dont even need to know the appropriate line, since you can mirror it then align it with the correct overhang of the walls from the mirrored building. You shouldnt have to recreate it...

peakprecisiondesign
2009-01-22, 05:57 PM
I tried that as well. I mirror the sketch and click finish and roof deletes. What a pain. That method works fine with other homes.

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-22, 06:14 PM
wow, strange. Can you copy and paste the roof in a new file and upload it?

peakprecisiondesign
2009-01-22, 06:57 PM
No dice Aaron. I've about had it with this roof. I can redo it pretty quickly. It was more of a principle thing if you know what I'm saying. I've never had this happen and hopefully it won't happen on a more complicated roof. I still love the mirror project command though :) Thanks for the help!

Cole

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-22, 07:24 PM
Sorry we couldnt get it figured out :(