PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Program Information between Projects (Room Schedule)

rganter.97143
2009-01-21, 11:12 PM
We've created all the program information for a project in a file by creating unplaced rooms with a "Target Area" parameter. When we place the rooms later from the room list we'll have the actual and target areas side-by-side.

Right now we need to transfer the program info to another project but unfortunately Revit does not include the schedule content when importing the schedule using copy/paste or Insert from File>Views.

Does anybody have any other ideas? I understand populating a schedule from Excel is not possible either without using the API. There must be a better way to get programming info into Revit apart from typing it in from scratch.

Scott Womack
2009-01-22, 10:57 AM
We've created all the program information for a project in a file by creating unplaced rooms with a "Target Area" parameter. When we place the rooms later from the room list we'll have the actual and target areas side-by-side.

Does anybody have any other ideas? I understand populating a schedule from Excel is not possible either without using the API. There must be a better way to get programming info into Revit apart from typing it in from scratch.

The only thought I have is to temporarily place the rooms, then copy and paste the rooms to another project. With the way you have chosen to input/use this information via rooms not placed, there is an issue by the definition of a Room schedule in transferring it to another project.

We have created a series of Key schedules, one for Room types, This allows this "master schedule" to be transferred from project to project with its data in tact. (once the project parameters it references exist in the target project) Then this schedule can be loaded via Insert Views with its data intact. We then apply those "styles" to rooms in the next project for the various types of scheduling. We did put the Project parameters into our template.

rganter.97143
2009-01-22, 03:54 PM
I'm going to give the key schedules a try next time. Thanks for the ideas!

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-22, 04:20 PM
Its a lousy workaround, but consider the following:

Draw enough walls in a small grid to place the rooms, then model group the walls and the rooms, and save the group out as its own file. Then in a new project you can Load File as group, and drop it in, and the walls and room should place.

Since they changed room functionality in 2009, if you then DELETE the model group (so even though im overly verbose, its just a load, place, delete), the ROOMS should then stay in the schedule as UNPLACED.

Yesyes?