PDA

View Full Version : Specifying the Number of Backup Files

cdsuggs
2009-01-22, 10:09 PM
Yes, we all know where to set this - File > Save As > Options - but did you know this is NOT a global setting? It is specific to each Project Central or Family File. One could be 20, another 2, another ...

So with network disc space, network tape backups, and project integrity in mind, what do you feel is the magic number that should reside in the Maximum field? I'm thinking the number one is sufficient.

Also, does this relate at all to the File > Backups… feature? I imagine it does not; that’s what the database folder is for, right?

Cheers

eric.piotrowicz
2009-01-22, 10:54 PM
Backup files are saved in a sub directory of the folder that hold your local file. The general concesus is that local files should be saved to the user's individual machine. Server clutter isn't an issue unless you are making a habit of saving backup copies either manually or through Files > Backups. Which conincidentally is how to access those 1 to 20 backups. There are options to do a 'Save as' or 'Rollback' to recover data. These don't necessesarily go back very far so its good practice to archive a copy of your project at critical stages. When doing this you'll need to open that archive file through Revit and check the 'Detach from Central' box or else it will behave as a local file instead of a stand alone archive. Obviously these archives will contribute to shrinking available server storage.

ajayholland
2009-01-22, 11:22 PM
How far do you want to go back if (when) your file gets messed up? Conventional wisdom used to be that the number of backups should equal the number of users times the number of STCs per day times the number of days.

When four users save to central four times per day (that’s conservative) you’ll need 16 backups if you want to recover any work that is lost in just one day.

On a large project with multiple users I typically use eighty.

~AJH

eric.piotrowicz
2009-01-23, 01:55 PM
How far do you want to go back if (when) your file gets messed up? Conventional wisdom used to be that the number of backups should equal the number of users times the number of STCs per day times the number of days.

When four users save to central four times per day (that’s conservative) you’ll need 16 backups if you want to recover any work that is lost in just one day.

On a large project with multiple users I typically use eighty.

~AJH

How do you get to eighty? the max for a workshared project is twenty.
Also I was under the impression that the backups are only of the individual local files. Is this correct or am I missing something?

ajayholland
2009-01-27, 08:32 PM
The default maximum for Workshared projects is twenty. This is the number after which backups will be overwritten. Change it to whatever value is desired. Eighty is a number I just “pulled out of my hat”.

Backup folders are by default located in the same directory as the Workshared file. Both local and central files have their own backups.

~AJH