PDA

View Full Version : How to Handle Users?

nsinha73
2009-01-23, 06:04 PM
How can I handle users who insists on Drafting in Revit but 3itches about why Revit can't do this and Revit Can't do that.
Is it ok to slap them? I am at a point where I can NO LONGER handle this!!!
Please Help!

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-23, 06:13 PM
There really isnt any substitution for people having proper education and training in both the application, and the theory of how it works.

Otherwise, youre going to lose, over and over and over again.

That, or at least try to get one forward thinker on the team WITH them... But that will be a hundred headaches for that poor soul, while they try to run around fixing things and explaining the "whys" as they go.

patricks
2009-01-23, 06:41 PM
Has this person had any actual training? Done the tutorials? Anything?

IMHO a person who flat out refuses to learn things the right way, which causes much frustration and time lost for everyone, is not being a valuable resource to the team. Such a person should be moved to another team where they would be more useful (another team using CAD perhaps, if it's still being used in your office).

In our office's case, which is 100% Revit, that person would have to be let go. It's nearly impossible finding anyone to hire in my area that is already fluent in Revit. I guess I'm lucky that I embraced it so well (fresh out of school with very little prior CAD experience). Since I started working in 2004, my company has hired and fired (or the person quit) probably 4 or 5 different people who just didn't "get it". My boss and I have spent many hours fixing the junk those people created in our files.

*edit* I'm referring to my office which only has 3 Revit users at this point.

guy.messick825831
2009-01-23, 07:10 PM
My two cents... We are 100% Revit and train all new hires in Revit Fundamentals via our vendor. We then have a robust Professional Development program to keep up to date on Best Practices in Design Technology. Bottom line is, there isn't a lot of wiggle room for not knowing how to use Revit, and proper use is a condition of employment. This does not factor in the human side of course, I've worked with several talented staff that needed a slightly different approach to blossom into proper Reviteers, but it can be done. Staff that continues to ignore standards would do so with any package, I would think. Anyway, works for us and we have a pretty happy crew (30+ licenses).

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-23, 07:12 PM
Its refreshing to hear that some offices DO think its a term/condition of continued employment.

Ive been in several offices where people couldnt grasp the thinking methodology, or didnt want to, or wanted to draft, or whatever... And management thought it was just an issue that had to be dealt with during the projects. YEARS later, things are still like that in those offices...

dgreen.49364
2009-01-23, 07:19 PM
The key is that management has to be behind Revit for it to work. If the management/owners are pushing Revit and support it, the conversion to Revit will work and those who drag their feet will be given the choice to fly right or move on.

I am fortunate to work for a company that has embraced Revit. If you do not have proper support from the higher-ups you will continue to be frustrated.

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-23, 07:32 PM
Ive seen owners and management completely embrace and support revit, and still not be able to tell users to *fly right or move on.* Its a pain in the fanny.

"Well, work with them more."

"Well, let them annotate instead of model." (i love this one, as a lot of people think the project can divide that seamlessly without messing things up. Im YET to see that work)

"Well, let them draw it then. its fine. it doesnt ALL have to be right." (oye...)

nsinha73
2009-01-23, 07:34 PM
The key is that management has to be behind Revit for it to work. If the management/owners are pushing Revit and support it, the conversion to Revit will work and those who drag their feet will be given the choice to fly right or move on.

I am fortunate to work for a company that has embraced Revit. If you do not have proper support from the higher-ups you will continue to be frustrated.

You are right, I was blasted once for passing a memo. See, I am not a guy that holds excellent credentials (No Degree) so maybe thats a factor too.
I can't seem to budge them a bit. I Tell them, but its the same attitude....
These guys are architects...I am the only one without that. All I hear is, they frown at me saying "I Just want to Draft and get this Job done"!!!!!

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-23, 07:47 PM
Well, the only way around that is for them to SEE and LEARN why using revit the correct way is the only way to fly.

For starters: By modeling, THEN drafting, theyre getting the slow half of each process, and no reaping much return.

Second, try to do a project without them, using revit correctly. Youll annilhiliate the budget (in a good way) and make them wonder...

davidcobi
2009-01-23, 08:07 PM
I would require new staff to take the beginners and advanced classes offered by your reseller first. Then, to fill in the gaps, have Revit sessions once in a while and email tips of the day to all staff so they can catchup enough to use all aspects of the software.

It's too bad that you get blasted for shooting memos.

Having management on your side is a big help. If you earn their trust first maybe the rest will follow.

If they tell you why can't Revit do this, just tell them "let me look into it and I'll get back to you." Then do the research via AUGI and support requests to get the problem answered. Troubleshooting other users questions is how I trained myself. This also give the user time to think about the problems on their own. Sometimes the issue becomes a non issue after the user has had some time to think about it.

aaronrumple
2009-01-23, 08:14 PM
In this economy - threaten to fire them. Then if they still drag their feet - fire them and hire experianced Revit staff.....

Unfortunately there are good people out there doing nothing right now.

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-23, 08:26 PM
Yeah there are.... :(

sjsl
2009-01-23, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I'm one of them....:(

azmz3
2009-01-23, 09:36 PM
Personally, after using Revit for about 8 months, i find drafting in Revit better for me than in CAD. its not that Revit cant do what they want, there is a different way to get the result they want out of it, users have to change the way they think about drafting from a CAD mentality to a Revit way of thought, and they can't compare the two programs, because of the lack of similarities between them.

I agree any new user should go through a training class in the program, at least the Essentials class, which is all we did in our office, but through trial and error and these forums, we have managed to win our first project using Revit, and we have been able to get it to work the way we want it to.

ray salmon
2009-01-23, 09:53 PM
is everyone in the office using Revit as the main platform

some offices the diehards use 2d autocad the inovative use Revit to its potential...but it is sword fight when they have to work together on something...

most cases people start making the changes when their piers and competions start looking down on them for being so far behind.

I hitch hiked into the business also,, so like you, i don't get attention even when i quote where the industry is headed.

r

ajayholland
2009-01-24, 06:50 PM
The best motivator that can be demonstrated to those who would resist: finish on time, and go home early!

~AJH