PDA

View Full Version : Pediment tips/tricks?

adam.bonosky
2009-01-26, 03:48 PM
Ok, just got Revit and I'm trying to create a pediment. I've done the fascia tool using a profile I've created, but the corners where the cornice transitions from the horizontal cornice to follow the pitch is not accurate. I've also tried to use 2 different profiles, but am running into some trouble there as well. Is this just a matter of creating a family in place or is there another way to tackle this?

patricks
2009-01-26, 04:48 PM
When your profile turns the corner, does it go horizontal for a bit and then follow the roof rake? If so, then this is correct. You cannot ever get a proper mitered corner if both sides aren't running along at the same angle. Sometimes it's fudged in the field, which you may think looks correct, but it just isn't possible to get a proper miter if both sides aren't oriented at the same angle.

Can you post a screen shot of the issue you're having?

adam.bonosky
2009-01-26, 05:23 PM
Here are some images from what I've been toying around with. I've tried a few different approaches, but I can't seem to get what I'm looking for. What this model is for is an existing building that we are building an addition for. The Revit images show what happens when I just take a profile and bring it around as a fascia. While it does connect, the elevation of the detail does not read the way that it should. The AutoCAD image is more what I'm looking for. Just trying to get to that -- Thanks!

adam.bonosky
2009-01-26, 05:26 PM
Sorry, just thought I should be a little more specific. The angle on the sima of the cornice in the CAD rendering is what I am looking for. Using the fascia tool in Revit causes this angle to be more acute than in the CAD drawing.

mthurnauer
2009-01-27, 03:26 PM
I am working on a project that has almost the exact same condition on the existing building. Your on the right track, but I suspect that you just don't have the trim profile right. The molding may not be a 45 degree molding. I.E. it may be taller that the horizontal projection. Many trims are more like 60 degrees. And as your cad drawing suggests, there may be another trim below the crown molding. i will post an image of how mine turned out as soon as a rendering is finished.

adam.bonosky
2009-02-05, 04:20 PM
i was able to find a way to get what i was looking for -- doesn't involve the fascia tool. i created an in-place model using solid and void extrusions. i'd be interested to know if there is another way to get this, because i'd like to apply shingles to the roof, but since the roof and the cornice are seen as 2 different elements in Revit, i'm having trouble getting that. is there a way to put a mask over the two and apply the material to the mask?

patricks
2009-02-05, 08:04 PM
Just paint the top surface with shingles using the paint bucket tool. If the fascia and roof are perfectly aligned, they *should* join geometry and the line between them should go away, if the top of the fascia is painted with the same material as your roofing surface.