PDA

View Full Version : Creating a tray ceiling...?

mickaeL_renauD
2009-01-26, 08:33 PM
I've created a tray ceiling with nothing more than four walls and two ceilings at different heights before but now I need to create a tray ceiling with angled sides. I can fake it when I do my sections with masking but I want to leave the masking out as much as possible.

Bottom line is i want to create a tray ceiling with angled sides and have it appear in section correct with out masking the **** out of it.

Please help...

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-26, 08:47 PM
Lay a flat mass at the height of the lowest portion of the tray ceiling, then use a Curtain System By Face. Youll need to make custom curtain panels for the different tray pieces, especially if they have lights in them, since you cant host a light on a curtain panel...

But visually, it works out alright.

mickaeL_renauD
2009-01-26, 08:53 PM
Yeah that seems to help out great considering im not hosting any lights from it.

Thanks...

iankids
2009-01-26, 08:54 PM
Hi Michael,
Although there may be better ways, I would create Ref Planes for the angled and horizontal elements of the ceiling. Host the ceilings to these Ref Planes & then join Geometry to clean it up.

Alternatively, if it was a straight gable end, I guess you could create an extruded ceiling using:
Model - Create - Ceiling

Cheers,

Ian

patricks
2009-01-26, 09:01 PM
If you're trying to create what I think you are, then I would just do the angled portion as a sweep, hosted by the lowest flat section of the ceiling, then place the higher ceiling in the middle.

Either that, or do a massing blend shape and do walls by face for the angled walls, and then ceiling objects for the upper and lower ceiling portions.

azmz3
2009-01-26, 09:15 PM
another way to do this would be to use the slope arrows that are available in sketch mode when making your ceiling. you could have your flat part, and use slope arrows to have the angled areas of the roof.

mickaeL_renauD
2009-01-26, 09:28 PM
yeah i dont really like the slope angles to much.