PDA

View Full Version : Bump mapping?

Chad Smith
2004-10-14, 01:25 AM
I thought I would have a play around with rendering in Revit today.

How does one go about assigning an image as a bump map in the material library?
I can't seem to find anywhere to do this.

Chad Smith
2004-10-14, 01:48 AM
OK, I found the bump value in the image mapping, but it's strength only goes up to 1 which is no where near strong enough. I need about a strength of 20.
I am trying to simulate metal roof sheeting and trying to get the ridges in the sheeting to show via bump mapping.

Scott D Davis
2004-10-14, 01:53 AM
Settings>Materials

Select a Revit Material from the list. On the right, Find AccuRender Texture, and click the Arrow next to the Box. This opens the Accurender Material Library.

Pick your material (if not already selected) from the list of folders on the left., and then Right-click on the name of the material in the Name column. Choose Edit. This opens the material editor, where you have coices for Main/Transparency/Maps/Highlight on the Tabs at the top. Choose Maps, and then Add an image map or a procedural bump, or both.

Hope that helps!

Chad Smith
2004-10-14, 02:00 AM
Thanks Scott, but I have the basics down.

As you can see from my attached image, I just can't get the bump any more defined. Being metal roof sheeting, it needs to be quite defined.

I should also add, that the bump image is black and white, so the bump is at it's extremes in terms of setting up the image.

SkiSouth
2004-10-14, 02:04 AM
Thanks Scott, but I have the basics down.

As you can see from my attached image, I just can't get the bump any more defined. Being metal roof sheeting, it needs to be quite defined.

Never been able to get Accurender to "do the bump" like 3ds. Only way is to model it. Two options - a family, or a glazed roof with little bitty bitty mullions....

Same problem obviously with bricks, shingles, etc. And the textures do not appear to "shadow " well either. Let's see what 7.0 has to offer. :)

In example, the attached is a standing seam roof of a residence I'm currently designing. The material is a custom roof pattern - Color at 1.0, bump map 0, with a submap that is the b/w bump map with color set to 0, and bump set to 1. It looks fine, but shadows are not casting off of the bump, and you can not control the "meshing" at the ridges. Maybe 7.0 will fix this. The copper roof (very low quality) is from 3dsmax import with material assigned with a box map. Note the ridge, and how the material meets. If Accurender can't get it done, the link into Viz might be where you wind up going...

My vote is the little bitty mullions.....

Chad Smith
2004-10-14, 02:58 AM
Damn, I too hope 7.0 has some major Revit/Accurender improvements. I've noticed that it is missing some fundamental features, and is proving to be limiting in some ways.
I was going to try and learn Revit/Accurender because I thought it would be beneficial to keep modeling and rendering in the one package, even though it's not quite as good as VIZ.

Oh well, back to VIZ when the plugin with 7.0 is finally released.

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-14, 04:42 AM
Accurender in Revit doesn't have bump mapping like in other renderers. Can't remember full-blown Accurender... does it allow this? ...where you take an image (like bricks and mortar) and then use an alpha channel of that image to tell the renderer which part of the image bumps in/out...