PDA

View Full Version : rcp metal deck

DO-PRE
2009-01-28, 05:15 AM
Hi all,

I am working on a project with an exposed metal deck roof/ceiling. I was wondering (1) how to get this to show up with the correct pattern in rcp (2) have lights attach to the ceiling and (3) is there a way to have the deck profile show up in section without adding detail comp.

Thanks,

Dan

Scott Womack
2009-01-28, 12:12 PM
(1) how to get this to show up with the correct pattern in rcp

You would have to use a model pattern on the deck material in the roof assembly, then manually rotate it a s needed.

(2) have lights attach to the ceiling

You will need either face based light families, or place a super thin piece of ceiling at the bottom of the deck, place lights, then via View Graphics override elements and hide in view.

(3) is there a way to have the deck profile show up in section without adding detail comp IF it is made as a floor in Revit Structure, yes, otherwise, no easy way. You could make a large number of voids set to cut the bottom of the deck, but this becomes a nightmare when things get changed.

DO-PRE
2009-01-28, 01:59 PM
Thanks Scott, the voids in the deck sounds like a good idea but just as tedious as adding detail comp., how do most revit architecture users show decks in overall sections?

patricks
2009-01-28, 03:51 PM
Thanks Scott, the voids in the deck sounds like a good idea but just as tedious as adding detail comp., how do most revit architecture users show decks in overall sections?

Occasionally I might just throw in a repeating deck detail. That is the easiest way to show metal deck at any view scale. Once you get it set up correctly with the right detail component, it's as easy as drawing a 2-pick line across the bottom edge of your concrete slab. Some deck detail components even have masking regions built in so that you don't see the concrete pattern in the slab below the deck flutes.

Otherwise, we just don't show it in overall building sections. We show it in large-scale details, and/or let structural show it.

I do know of one instance where I had a curved barrel-vault roof with exposed metal deck running longitudinally along the barrel vault. For the RCP I just set up a material with a model pattern of parallel lines spaced 3" apart. For the section views, I placed a single metal deck detail component and did a radial array. It got the point across just fine, and it got built just fine.

DO-PRE
2009-01-28, 04:22 PM
Thanks Patrick, I will use the repeating detail in section, not as tedious as I thought.

Dan