PDA

View Full Version : View Range

cadman6735
2009-01-29, 09:13 PM
Can someone explain to me what is the purpose of "Top" in View range is for?

I can change the value all day long and it does nothing that I can see.

But what I really want to do is:

My cut plane is at 4'-0" and it cuts my window and doors as it is suppose to, but I have some elements at 15' that I need to show in the plan.
How can I show this and keep my cut plane?

I find the view range very confusing...

Thanks for any help

dgreen.49364
2009-01-29, 09:33 PM
View range can take a little getting used to. What you may need for this situation is to create a plan region. A plan region allows you to create a region within your plan and change the view properties of that particular area so that you can see something you may not see at the regular 4' cut plane. There is a tutorial within the Revit help menu on plan regions that will explain better.

cadman6735
2009-01-29, 09:46 PM
dgreen

Thank you for your reply

Yes, I used Plan Region to get my desired result. But I thought I was using a trick and that I was not understanding the proper way to use View Range.

So I thought I would ask what the heck does the "Top" in view range do???

It seems to be a useless tool... But then again I am still learning this software.

If anyone can explain to me what the "Top" of View range does, this is all I want to know...

Thanks again for you tip and reply...

dgreen.49364
2009-01-29, 11:23 PM
I, too, find that the top range seems to have little impact. It's one of those things I don't think about anymore. When I'm messing with view range I focus on the cut level, the bottom and use plan regions when needed.

sfaust
2009-01-29, 11:44 PM
it works for ceiling plans, although I'm not sure why it's not just disabled for floor plans...

dgreen.49364
2009-01-29, 11:49 PM
Ceiling plans! Doh!

dbaldacchino
2009-01-30, 05:00 AM
It's ALSO used in floorplans. There are certain categories that will show projected in plan if they are between the cut plane and the top clip plane, such as casework. Try it out.

Andre Carvalho
2009-01-30, 01:21 PM
Dave is right. I have a project where people modeled some objectst as casework category and they were supposed to be furniture. These objects were at level 5 but because the top plane of the view range for the level below was set to be higher than the floor to floor distance between level 4 and 5, the objects from level 5 were being show in level 4 floor plan. In another words, if these casework objects are in between the cut plane and the top plane of the level's below view range, they will show as projected on the level below.

Andre Carvalho

Andre Carvalho
2009-01-30, 01:32 PM
Can someone explain to me what is the purpose of "Top" in View range is for?

I can change the value all day long and it does nothing that I can see.

But what I really want to do is:

My cut plane is at 4'-0" and it cuts my window and doors as it is suppose to, but I have some elements at 15' that I need to show in the plan.
How can I show this and keep my cut plane?

I find the view range very confusing...

Thanks for any help

By the way, if you don't want to play with view range to show objects that are higher than your cut plane or top plane, you can always use the Linework trick. Just temporarily change your view range to make it show the object you want to see and use the linework tool to make its lines show. Then change back your view range to be the way it was before and the linework will still show in your plan. The good thing about this trick is that the linework is the actual element being show, what means that any changes will reflect your lines in your plan. Moving the lines will also move the object. It is live.

Andre Carvalho

sfaust
2009-01-30, 03:06 PM
that's why I love AUGI. Had no idea that was the case, learn something new every day! thanks. :)

cadman6735
2009-01-30, 03:43 PM
Andre, Thanks for the tip, I will use it.

All of your collective input has explained to me what I needed to know. I can now move on and use this tool for what it is for.

Thanks again

dbaldacchino
2009-01-30, 03:57 PM
Yes, yes, the power of collective knowledge :D Someone shares a piece, someone shares another and you end up with a lot more than you could on your own! At least, much faster.

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-30, 04:35 PM
Baldacchino in the hoooooooooooouse.

Sorry, i had to. :)

dbaldacchino
2009-01-30, 05:37 PM
vrmmmmm vrmmmmm....does that sound like your car? Oh no, it's the snow blower!

ajayholland
2009-01-31, 07:18 PM
I wanted to post this yesterday, but also wanted to give credit to its creator. It was James Van. I found his original post from August ’04.

~AJH

dbaldacchino
2009-01-31, 08:23 PM
Thanks Jay, I learned most of what there is to know about View Range from that post! It's a classic...note to self: add to Tips & Tricks :)

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-31, 08:29 PM
Dude, my snowblower is an iPod, a shovel, and a 6 pack. Ive got my driveway down to an artform now.

I can clear it of 6-8 inches in 45 minutes... But it kinda takes 90 with the 6 pack. :)

Awesome reanimation of the James Van explanation... Good stuff.