PDA

View Full Version : Speaking TO Revit

Stadtler
2009-01-29, 11:57 PM
For those of you interested, You can use voice software to activate any keyboardshortcut within Revit using Dragon the Naturally Speaking Professional software from NUANCE. I have included a PDF showing the procedure to generate a simple command to get a new Revit family started.

For those who chuckle thinking about the background sound and other people "interferring", I am using it with a pair of computer stereo speakers less than 18" away without any problems.

sfaust
2009-01-30, 12:26 AM
Kind of cool, but I'm not sure. I can type "LF" (our load family shortcut) faster than I can say "File Load Family"...

Sure less keystrokes, but I'm not sure it would save any time. Could be wrong though.

Stadtler
2009-01-30, 12:51 AM
Kind of cool, but I'm not sure. I can type "LF" (our load family shortcut) faster than I can say "File Load Family"...

Sure less keystrokes, but I'm not sure it would save any time. Could be wrong though.

You could shortened it to "Family" or even "FAM" - look at the time savings overall - you can say one thing as you prepare for the next command.

IE: say "Zoom All" and you prepare to select an element to modify - you wouldn't necessarily need to take your eyes off the screen (of course if you type by touch, you don't have to either)

I had a similar arrangement with straight autocad - would call out part blocks for inserting without having to type the names ( 5-6 characters in each name) - kept my eyes on the screen and the parts came in at the cursor location.

sfaust
2009-01-30, 02:56 PM
hm, interesting approach. Still a little skeptical, but it would be fun to try :)

priitl22047477
2009-01-30, 06:18 PM
It could be fun while doing live demo to customers. " Want a column, please ask..."

Liamnacuac
2009-02-13, 12:39 AM
It could be fun while doing live demo to customers. " Want a column, please ask..."

Ironic avatar you have and then this topic...?

priitl22047477
2009-02-13, 05:49 AM
It is a match.

I waited for this topic so long....

LOL

Michael.c
2009-02-25, 12:20 AM
For those of you interested, You can use voice software to activate any keyboardshortcut within Revit using Dragon the Naturally Speaking Professional software from NUANCE.

Speaking to Revit!!
...I have been speaking to Revit for two years.....but I can't repeat here what I've been saying to it....I might get thrown off the site for use of offensive language

mwiggins121466
2009-02-25, 06:38 PM
That is so funny!!!!!!!!!!! I feel your pain.

mcmichael
2009-03-10, 07:40 PM
hmmmm.... sounds suspiciously like the 'CAD Bug' that was introduced about 20 years ago. I got to "try" it (try being the operative word here!) in my office back then. Had a couple of Techs about go horse trying to get the thing to work, yelling and trying all kinds of things.... One guy did get it to work pretty well, and I LOVED his vocal shortcut to Undo, something not for public consumption. I suppose the technology has progressed a bit in 20 years, but having an office full of techs all chatting to their machines makes take pause.

Simon.Whitbread
2009-04-10, 08:20 AM
Anyone who has been to the Revit Technology conferences in Sydney, will be familiar with this concept already - One of the top tips from the conference is - when using Revit - Talk to yourself.
Its the best way to find out what you want to do. And once you know what you want, the next progression is shortcuts - Great, I want one!