PDA

View Full Version : Material tag problem

doe
2009-02-02, 10:14 PM
how come in a Material tag i can't make an instance based line of text?
I want to be able to show the Material info and underneath that have a note.
I'm able to make the EXACT same looking tag with a note for furniture to show a line of text such as "typ of 32" but it doesn't work in Materials. any ideas?
thanks

kathy71046
2009-02-02, 11:31 PM
Edit your tag to add a comments field. Comments are stored by the object you are tagging, so it is always instance.

If you are using comments already on the type of objects you are tagging, then create a shared parameter for it.

doe
2009-02-02, 11:52 PM
the comments of a material become type based. so if i tag the same material somewhere else and don't want that comment to show up in the second place, then i'm out of luck and have no choice..

the material tag seems to disallow the option to have a custom line of instance based text.

Calvn_Swing
2009-02-03, 12:03 AM
That is correct. Technically, the way materials are currently set up in the program, there are no instance parameters of materials. The only reason you can create an instance for a furniture system is because that category allows instance parameters. So, you can tag them. There are not yet any instance based tag overrides for most annotations (you can't even add a prefix or suffix to spot elevations for instance). What you're really needing is an instance override of the material tag so you can add a note that isn't tied to the parametric object (since you're not tagging the object, but rather the material). I've placed a SR for this feature to be added to all tags, but it wouldn't hurt if a few more people chimed in.

Right now, you can't "intelligently" do what you want. Sorry!

kathy71046
2009-02-03, 02:41 PM
Damn, I didn't realise the material tag made the comment into a type comment...

A messy workaround, create a tag with the comment, and another without it.

Although if you want more than one or two (if shared params work the same and can be added) you would end up with an awful lot of tags and paramaters.

I'll add my SR to this issue so we can get that...or even better if we can get a note label that can be added to any tag.

doe
2009-02-03, 07:16 PM
if we can get a note label that can be added to any tag.

that would be the ideal solution. I'm quite surprised that it hasn't been requested more often, let alone that it hasn't been implemented yet. An instance based/independant note within the tag would be perfect!

turner756103
2018-02-27, 06:58 PM
This is still an issue, right?

I need to put material tags on walls which give keynotes for the assembly material (3A [Gyp], 9A [Conc], 9B [Resilient Base], etc) AND the finish (PNT-1, PNT-2, RB-1, etc). The material tag will only look at what Revit calls the material (actually the finish/ paint color), not at the outer layer of the assembly (gyp, conc, resilient base, etc).

SO, if I have a paint color that gets applied to gyp walls in one place and to exposed concrete walls in another, there's no way to call out the material correctly. My options are to either:

1) Create duplicate 'materials' for each type of wall which they will be applied to (i.e. 'PNT-1 for Gyp,'
'PNT-1 for Conc,' etc), which is not ideal
2) Create duplicate wall types for each finish that can be applied to them (i.e. 'XYZ Partition 1 - PNT-1,'
XYZ Partition 1 - PNT 2,' etc ad nauseum), which is unthinkably awful
3) Create a material tag with an editable field for specifying the outer layer of the assembly, which is not
great but would be the least bad of the three options IF it were possible

Option 3 is unfortunately, per this discussion, impossible. Right?

asgomes2
2019-06-14, 11:13 AM
I have a material tag on the plants that pops up a question mark. For him to appear I have to click on the tag.

What should I do to stop the question mark from appearing?

LP Design
2024-02-09, 05:16 PM
Bumping this old thread. I am running into the same problem in 2024. Can anyone confirm if the problem persists or if a workaround has been figured out at some point?