PDA

View Full Version : Trying to build curtain panel with symbolic lines for pre-drilled holes

jhd
2009-02-04, 12:48 AM
I have about 10 different sizes of panels where the holes for pre-drilled panels always end up in different spots. My initial approach was to try to use the array command and use conditional statements to determine if the panels needed additional rows of fasteners based on lengths between holes. It didn't take me long to find out that you can't use an overall length parameter on a curtain panel from top ref. plane to bot. ref. plane. It would have been great use max and min distances to determine the hole placement. Next I tried putting type parameters on each of the lines of holes and it just became way too specific and the ease of operating the model was lost. on top of all of that i have some 6 sided panels which i can't figure out the best to model. they always end up as system panels, which then seems to take away all of my ability to add any custom info. (holes) on the panel. any help or insight is great appreciated.

Dimitri Harvalias
2009-02-04, 02:52 AM
Can you post a screen shot of what you are trying to accomplish?
Certain things should be fairly simple with a series of ref planes, a couple of parameters and some symbolic/model lines. If you are trying to achieve variable patterns it can be more complicated but is certainly achievable.

jhd
2009-02-06, 04:46 PM
I'm attaching two files showing what I'm trying to do. The .jpg is an image from the actual project. The dashed lines represent lines where I'm attempting manipulate the curtain to be a 6 sided panel without being a system panel. The blue panel on the right shows a prime example of this - where the curtain panel converted to a system panel once it was given 6 sides instead of 4.

The attached revit file shows this same curtain system as it was copied into a blank file. I attached this so you can see how the curtain panel was made. I've been researching how to create a 6 sided panel, but haven't had much luck. In addition to the issue with 6 sides, I'm also trying to make the symbolic lines for the holes parametric.