PDA

View Full Version : Surface Issues

JLPatanio
2009-02-04, 03:45 PM
I have a few questions about surfaces for Civil 3d. I was wondering if there was an option to copy surfaces. Also when I am editing surfaces specifically trimming them the program (I am sure its just a setting) won't allow me to select a group of objects... what do I have to change?

sinc
2009-02-04, 03:53 PM
What do you mean by "Copy"?

You can sometimes use CTRL-SHIFT-C and CTRL-V to copy-and-paste surfaces between drawings.

You can also create a new (empty) surface, and paste your original into it. This will create a new surface that is "linked" to the original, so if you change the original, the "copy" will change too.

You can also export to LandXML, then reimport as a new surface.

There's probably even more stuff you can do...

sinc
2009-02-04, 03:58 PM
As far as selecting "a group of objects"...

Do you mean you are trying to "Delete Lines", and you want to select more than one at a time? If so, then you can use the "Select" options such as "F" (Fence) and "CP" (Crossing Polygon).

JLPatanio
2009-02-04, 04:00 PM
I appologize I should have been a bit clearer. I have created a surface that represents my existing ground surface. I want to that same surface and under a different surface name make changes without effect the existing ground surface.

gandocadguy
2009-02-04, 04:06 PM
I appologize I should have been a bit clearer. I have created a surface that represents my existing ground surface. I want to that same surface and under a different surface name make changes without effect the existing ground surface.

To do this, create a blank surface, paste your existing surface into it and then start modifying your new surface.

JLPatanio
2009-02-04, 04:09 PM
How do I paste the surface into the new one?

gandocadguy
2009-02-04, 04:18 PM
How do I paste the surface into the new one?

expand it in your prospector, right click on edits, and select paste surface.

sinc
2009-02-04, 04:19 PM
Create your new (empty) surface. Then go to Surfaces -> Edit -> Paste surface...

It will ask you to select your base surface (the surface you are pasting into) first, then select the surface you want to paste.

JLPatanio
2009-02-04, 04:44 PM
Thank you guys for your help everything works perfectly

brian.hailey933139
2009-02-05, 04:48 PM
FYI, copying a surface in Civil 3D is done the same way as copying a line, use the copy command.