PDA

View Full Version : Phase and Join Geometry

iandidesign
2009-02-04, 11:06 PM
I think I have already discovered the answer to my question, but I thought I should post before heading to the wish-list.

It appears that the Join Geometry command is not recognized by Revit phases. My use case: I have a tile faced wall created in the existing phase and new shower pan (modeled as a floor) created in the new phase. I used JG to clean up the section (get the tile layer of the floor and the wall to properly intersect). Looking back at the existing phase now shows the wall cut by the (not yet built) floor. Bummer.

Ideas, workarounds?

Thanks.

ws
2009-02-05, 08:54 PM
Most of my work is alterations and I come across this all the time.

For roofs I copy to clipboard, demolish and then paste back to create a New Construction version of the roof to modify.
For walls I occasionally do the same.

There was a very interesting thread on this sort of thing last year:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=51504

iandidesign
2009-02-05, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the pointer William. I have encountered most of the issues raised in that discussion but there is a ton of good info there.

Interestingly, while Join Geometry cannot be phased, Cut Geometry can (as per the referenced uses of void objects).

Phasing is one my favorite Revit features, and given our obligation to renovate rather than replace the world’s aging and unsuitable structures it is an important part of utilizing BIM in the practice of sustainable building. It deserves to be enhanced, especially in the areas of partial demo of large assemblies and replacing finish layers while leaving structural cores intact.