PDA

View Full Version : Creating a schedule that is NOT linked??

SupremeTaco
2009-02-06, 05:47 PM
Hey guys... So, to start off, I'm not an architect. I just started working for a general contractor a year ago, and that is all the construction knowledge I have (I have a degree in multimedia... again, no construction knowledge there). I'm not incredibly well versed in terms of plan sets, so excuse me if this is a simple answer that I just missed somewhere in Revit...

Anyway, I'm trying to create a schedules sheet for a residential bathroom remodel, but I want to just be able to have a form that I choose what goes in it. Everything I've found has to be linked somehow to the model... I've made note blocks, but those have to be linked to annotations. Making schedules seems to be even more restrictive... I want to be able to have something like this picture (made in Excel) where I get to put whatever I want where I want, then be able to place that on a sheet. Help??

fernando
2009-02-06, 06:06 PM
If what you want is a free schedule, not conected to anything in the project, use excel, is the logical step.

SupremeTaco
2009-02-06, 06:12 PM
Then can I get the Excel file onto one of my sheets? I didn't think of that... Haha... *goes to try*

patricks
2009-02-06, 07:09 PM
Just create a Schedule Key. You will choose what category the schedule will be used for (walls, doors, plumbing fixtures, etc), and then have available fields listed to include in your schedule. If the field you need is not listed, you can simply create a new field.

Then once you have the fields (columns) set up, you can add rows as needed to fill in everything.

Importing Excel spreadsheets for use in Revit has been a wish for some time, I believe.

SupremeTaco
2009-02-07, 12:00 AM
Ah, Patricks, it's beautiful! Thanks :)

SupremeTaco
2009-02-09, 04:41 PM
Alright so, I made a schedule key and it let me make whatever rows and columns that I wanted, it was fantastic. Then I went to make another one, and I want some of the columns to have the same names as the other schedule key. So I go to create a new parameter, and name it the same as the other and it gives me this error... Is there any way I can make a second schedule key have some of the same column names as another???

patricks
2009-02-09, 05:09 PM
What family category did you use to create your schedule key? If the 2nd one is of the same category, then those columns (parameters) you created for the 1st one should be available to use for the 2nd one, i.e. you shouldn't have to create them again.

Otherwise you may have to be more descriptive with your parameter names (like "hardware quantity" instead of just "quantity"), and then you can change the name that actually displays at the top of the column under the schedule's Formatting tab.

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-09, 05:14 PM
I dont think a second Schedule Key of the same catagory is going to let him use the same parameters. Lets supposed the two Key Schedules were for Doors, and the parameters were "Door Information" and "Door costs"... Then theoretically, if he put both of those parameters in a door schedule, theyd conflict, so i dont think it woll work.

As for making the same parameters as duplicates, which is what youre trying to do: It wont let you, even across different catagories. Thats when you get the *unsupported operation*. The screen youre on is not to add the same parameter, its to make a new parameter, and you cant... Not with the exact same name.

I personally find that rediculous. I might need a parameter called "Delivery Instructions" for Doors, windows, and whatever else. They wont let me, if i do it through the project parameters. They might work as shared parameters though.

FWIW, i wouldnt do what youre doing with an unattached and unintelligent schedule... I just dont see the point of it, but thats just me. Use the schedule of items, if thats what you want to do...

SupremeTaco
2009-02-09, 06:54 PM
You guys are both right. It doesn't let you create the same parameter name even in a different category, so I just put more descriptive names and changed it in the top of the column. Now everything looks how I wanted it to!

I'd prefer to have this be intelligent data linked with the model, but at this time I can't think of how I'd get everything that I want in the schedules put into the model, to then be linked to. When I have more time in the near future I'll play around with this more, but right now we just need a temporary workaround!

Thanks again for all your help

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-09, 06:59 PM
Considering youre using quantities and costs in those fields, i would certainly just have those fields be type parameters of the families in the project (not count, obviously...), but finishes, costs per unit, type/style... Then i would just schedule the outlets.

that way it counts them for you, and changes and reflects the model when the design changes, etc.

Supreme, when you want to get in to it, shoot me an email and ill walk you through it. i think youll find doing it the automated way is actually easier than what youre trying to do. ;)

SupremeTaco
2009-02-09, 07:11 PM
That sure would rock to have it all like that haha. I'll definitely be taking you up on that offer for help soon!

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-09, 07:48 PM
And if you happen to need me to come to the Bay Area for helping, so much the better!! LOL, kidding of course... :)

SupremeTaco
2009-02-09, 09:25 PM
Haha hey man I feel ya... My company might be up for that though, no joke. Of course I'd have to get a list of things we'd want to learn, and all, but that is a possibility for the future!

twiceroadsfool
2009-02-09, 09:40 PM
Consider it and shoot me an email, ill send you the rest of my contact info. Im sure i could help out with what you need without coming out there... But it was TWO degrees here the other day, sooooooo........... LOL