PDA

View Full Version : Interior Elevation frustrations

jwilhelm
2004-10-15, 09:53 PM
I find Interior elevations in Revit to be a pain in the @#%*
maybe its just me but typically I find that the crop region
does not snap to the underside of a floor so I have to place it manually
and more times than not the line I see on the screen does not plot unless I plot
"raster". Also when I have a non rectangular region that needs to be clipped suc as
a sloped ceiling I have to mask it with a filled region, giving me the same problem with lines. I also find it very time consuming to have to turn off various anotation objects such as grids,sections,levels etc, which would not typically be seen in interior elevations. Perhaps we need an elevation type specific to interiors. If I am doing something wrong somebody please tell me, anyone else experiencing this problem?

SkiSouth
2004-10-15, 10:27 PM
I guess just different drawing styles find different ways of handling solutions, I personally find the elevation tool quite handy. I just checked a project I was working on. The premise seems to be this, if there is a ceiling defined, the interior elevation stops there, if not it goes to the structure. I erased a rooms ceiling, and the elevation marks, and then recreated the elevations, and the view was defined more as a section to include the structure above. Perhaps you could create your interior elevation views, then create your ceilings. I've got a feeling that some, if not all of the user interface control problems will be addressed in 7.0 - or at least I hope so.

As far as turning on and off the aspects in interior elevations. I have defined an interior elevation view that I placed in my template file. (Simply go to an elevation that you have set the way you wanted and save the view as as view template) I whack away at the elevations, then with a "apply view template" click, the scale, annotation,etc is all set properly.

" have to mask it with a filled region, giving me the same problem with lines"

Do you send the filled area to "behind" the lines you want to show? (select the fill and select the appropriate display order) You can also set the display order of detail lines to bring them to the "front".

Hope this helps, and yes, there are things I constantly bang my head on, but its still SO much better than ADT.

Scott Hopkins
2004-10-15, 10:38 PM
Jerry,

You are definitely not alone on this one. It has been a wishlist item for some time. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like there are going to be any improvements to interior elevations in release 7.0

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2669

christo4robin
2004-10-16, 12:01 AM
I personally have found the elevation tool to be easy to work with.

1. Get all your annotation objects displayed (or not) the way you want.
2. Click on View then Save As View Template - this creates a view template you can easily invoke by creating a new elevation, then clicking on View, Apply View Template.
3. Draw a solid white filled region, donut style, with Wide Lines for the finish surfaces (top of floor, bottom of ceiling, face of wall, etc.) and then invisible lines offset 12" or so from the wide lines.
4. Handle drag the crop region into the middle of the filled region.

That's what we do here and it works quite well. The filled region takes 30 seconds to a minute to accomplish.

Hope that helps.