PDA

View Full Version : Revit and AutoDESK Civil 3D

Kevin Janik
2004-10-15, 11:59 PM
Is AutoDESK Civil 3D working with the Revit engine? Just wondering if someone knows since it is just coming out and sounds alot like Revit.

Kevin Janik

hand471037
2004-10-16, 12:26 AM
Don't think so. The Civil series of products is all based on ADT/ObjectARX technology. But there is a lot of extra stuff, like database and such, added onto the Civil/GIS products, so I can see how they could be simular in terms of tracking data and changes and such...

So unless there's a very major change behind the scenes going on, I doubt that Civil 3D is running on Revit. If anything, we'll see a HVAC/MEP 'building systems' type package done with Revit before we'll probably see a Civil one. But that's just going on whatI heard when working for a local reseller from there Civil/GIS guys.

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-16, 01:50 PM
Jeff is correct from what I have heard directly from Autodesk as well. Civil 3D is already out and it shares a lot of code and terminology with ADT. Styles, etc.. and instead of the ADT Project Navigator they have the so-called "Prospector".

It's an interesting piece of software. I needed to get one of my Revit clients a set of 3D contours from a survey that only contained points, so I fired up Civil 3D and banged it out. It has a lot of features, but not being a Civil guy (though I am a civil guy) I don't know what myriad applications it has.