PDA

View Full Version : Wall at double gabel

rick.74802
2004-10-16, 12:24 AM
I know this is probably a dumb question but how do I finish off my second gable end. I'm just trying to fill in the open gap with a wall. This is my first model that I'm trying to learn Revit on.

adegnan
2004-10-16, 01:20 AM
Several ways to do it. You can use the "edit profile" and lock the new wall face to the roof. You can also make the wall longer than it needs to be in plan, long enough to extend all the way to the roof. Then, attach the top to the upper roof and attach the bottom to the lower roof.

Probably other ways too. I find edit profile to be the most reliable. Occasionally there are quirks about joining up and joining down expecially if that is all one roof you created there.

rick.74802
2004-10-16, 01:30 AM
Thanks Abe. Well now I'm looking for "edit profile". May be there are some basic things in Revit that I don't know about yet.

SkiSouth
2004-10-16, 02:34 AM
Thanks Abe. Well now I'm looking for "edit profile". May be there are some basic things in Revit that I don't know about yet.

Click the wall you want to edit. Now look across the top of the drawing screen and several options are now available to you, attach/detach top and bottom and edit profile. When you select edit profile, if you are in plan, you will have to switch to an elevation or section view. The wall will appear outlined in a purple color, this is the "sketch mode" of Revit. Change the line to be the profile of the wall you want. When you finish editing the wall, it will conform to the profile you have drawn.

rick.74802
2004-10-16, 03:06 AM
Alright, that worked great! Thanks a lot for the help.

SkiSouth
2004-10-16, 11:32 AM
Alright, that worked great! Thanks a lot for the help.

Alright - we'll give you one attaboy.. Keep up the good work, and keep on posting. :smile:

jarod.tulanowski
2004-10-19, 03:28 AM
probably a dumb question, but how did you get the lower gable to attach to the far wall?

Scott D Davis
2004-10-19, 03:58 AM
probably a dumb question, but how did you get the lower gable to attach to the far wall?There are no dumb questions!

Use the Join Roof Tool, select the edge of the gable roof closest to the wall, then the face of the wall.

SkiSouth
2004-10-19, 04:00 AM
the lower gable the far wall?

? Which wall? To get any wall to attach to a roof, simply pick the wall, then the attach selection at the top of the screen.

No question is dumb, by the way, ask away. I just don't understand which wall you're discussing.

Jason
2007-07-28, 09:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have tried to edit the profile to follow the outline of the roof, but I get a message saying that "can't keep wall and target joined" Please help.

twiceroadsfool
2007-07-28, 11:16 PM
Jason-

You can select a wall, and in the option bar (across the top of the drawing window) there is an option to "attach" either the top or the base of the wall to a roof/object. The message you are getting is because the wall is attached to an object, and by editing the profile, you are making it so that it can no longer reach its object that it is attached to. I would select the "detach" option when the dialogue comes up. If you hit okay, that warning will stay stored in the warning dialogue, and the project will continually check back to see if you have remedied the "problem."

Jason
2007-07-29, 04:01 PM
I got it! Thanks a million Aaron!

ford347
2007-07-29, 08:40 PM
Instead of editing the profile of that single wall, sometimes I'll end up drawing another wall starting from where your last wall ended, then just attach the top of that new wall to the upper roof and the bottom of the wall to the lower roof. That way I don't have to mess around with the profile of that wall if I'm in the middle of schematic and things are changing quite frequently. I do both though. Just another way about it.

Josh