PDA

View Full Version : Roof Help Please

Jason
2004-10-17, 06:06 AM
The roof in the attached JPG was drawn as 3 separate roofs. Main House Roof, Garage Main Roof and the smaller roof over the garage door. I have used the join geometry to join all the roofs, but the join lines still show. I have also tried to use the pen tool to hide the lines but it didn't recognize the lines. My questions is can all these roofs be drawn as one single roof? Can the smaller roof and the main garage roof be drawn as a sinlge roof? Any trciks in hiding the joint lines would be welcomed.

I thank you all in adavance for any comments.

SkiSouth
2004-10-17, 12:17 PM
If the joint (angle)on the upper roof is even slightly off, the hatch pattern will change. See if that is what's happening there. Attached is three different ways to approach your garage roof. Use the slope arrow to achieve what you're asking. Pick on each roof, edit, and you'll see what was done.
Out of time. If you need more, let me know

tarch
2004-10-17, 02:19 PM
Any trciks in hiding the joint lines would be welcomed.

Jason,
it looks like your garage and main roof have different slopes. If that's the case then the joint line does exist and you can't eliminate it.

Alek

BillyGrey
2004-10-17, 02:32 PM
Not only angle or slope, but elevation as well.

Good luck,

Bill

Jason
2004-10-17, 03:00 PM
Thank you all for your help.

I have used the aligned tool to line up the core face of the roof structure. But I will check again. The slope of the roofs are the same except the smaller roof in the garage.

Skisouth, I have looked at your file and I understand what you have done. Thank you for taking the time to do the drawing. It was very helpful.

sbrown
2004-10-18, 01:34 PM
go to an elevation view, then switch to thin lines and see if your garage roof is slightly higher or lower than the other. If so, use the move command, not align to fix them.

tamas
2004-10-18, 03:47 PM
Try to turn off visibility of roof surface patterns to see if the unwanted lines come from the roof shape, or simply the shingle patterns do not line up properly. (Although Join Geometry should make sure they do.)

If the line is still there then it is the model, and the previous posts give good advice how to diagnose the reason.
If the line is not there, it comes from the shingles. If your pattern is a model pattern, you may select it (use Tab if needed) and move it up, down to match the patterns on the two roof.

zbubbas
2004-10-18, 10:18 PM
I am not understanding how you created the third roof on the right. How did you do this with out slope arrows? What am I missing? Also how did you create the two roof sketch lines at the front of the garage that determine the slope that both have a overhang value? When I tried to duplicate your work, I could only draw one line that had a roof overhang value, the other had the value for overhang greyed out. Thanks in advance.

SkiSouth
2004-10-18, 11:29 PM
I am not understanding how you created the third roof on the right. How did you do this with out slope arrows? What am I missing? .

If you edit the roof on the right, you'll see the lines indicated as slope defining with the little
triangle off to the side. The gable ends do not have the triangle, which tells Revit these edges are vertical. Note in plan, the indention of the roof defining lines. NONE are marked as slope defining, so Revit then makes these vertical. That completes this roof and once generated, you then make a second roof, which is a shed roof, with only the outer edge as slope defining. Then you join the two roofs. If you need further clarification, send me a PM and I'll see about working up another example.

Also how did you create the two roof sketch lines at the front of the garage that determine the slope that both have a overhang value? When I tried to duplicate your work, I could only draw one line that had a roof overhang value, the other had the value for overhang greyed out. Thanks in advance.

I don't understand this one. Could you perhaps ask your question differently? On which roof? the right one?