PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?!?!

Merlin
2004-10-17, 10:35 PM
OK...PROBLEM #1:
There will be a simple explanation I'm sure, but I've been at this for a couple of hours!!!!....I'm trying to make a screen of some random length, random placed, horizontal timber battens between 2 timber posts (ie the battens are horizontal, but are placed above each other at random distances between the posts...I would like some varying overhang to the battens ends).
I succeeded in one place but I cant duplicate my commands (fluked it, I guess)...I've tried mirroring the original set, I've tried copying the one batten I've member I've located there, (won't copy vertically), I've tried arraying (can't array vertically)....AHHHHH!.....I'm going to ask anyone for how they would go about it and start the screen from scratch because, don the right way, I'm sure it can be done in seconds!!....

PROBLEM #2..I also wanted to tilt/rotate a timber column so it will be perpendicular to its roof ...rotating seems to be a horizontal command regardless of your view...comments?

I thank the great minds in advance for your expedient advice!..

cheers,
John Mc

archjake
2004-10-17, 10:44 PM
I would try some in place families using the sweep tool.

SkiSouth
2004-10-18, 12:54 AM
OK...PROBLEM #1:
There will be a simple explanation I'm sure, but I've been at this for a couple of hours!!!!....I'm trying to make a screen of some random length, random placed, horizontal timber battens between 2 timber posts (ie the battens are horizontal, but are placed above each other at random distances between the posts...I would like some varying overhang to the battens ends).

First, create a reference plane along the screen (batten) line between posts. Right click on the reference plane to name it. Load Component - Structural - Wood- Dimension Lumber.
If the batten size is not listed in the table, select any member and load it. Select the wood component you just loaded, then the property button beside the name and modify the component to the size you need. (Edit the component - Duplicate it, rename it, change the size and save.) Now you have your batten.

Go to an elevation that is 90 degrees onto the reference plane reflecting the batten wall. Select the reference plane you created as your work plane.
Draw the batten you want, length, height aff, etc. should work fine.

Use structural Column- wood- dimensional lumber for your posts. Note that the columns are inserted UNDER the level you insert them on, so be wise on your level definition.

I'm guessing at what you want on the second question. Sloping column, not a sloping beam at the roof right? I forced this with reference planes. Someone who knows more than I can solve this- I'm close to brain dead..

Attached is a sample project.

SkiSouth
2004-10-18, 03:03 AM
OK...PROBLEM #1:
...rotating seems to be a horizontal command regardless of your view...comments?

cheers,
John Mc

You can rotate things in elevations, sections, etc. It depends on the object or family and how it was created, and if any controlling parameters are set. (such as defined as vertical only - like columns)

Merlin
2004-10-18, 07:36 AM
OK...Thanks guys....got it pegged now....thanks for the help.....you're LEGEND STATUS!
PS....Skis.....did you get my message re: those photoshop tutorials?

cheers,
John Mc

SkiSouth
2004-10-18, 01:00 PM
PS....Skis.....did you get my message re: those photoshop tutorials?

cheers,
John Mc

Yes, just waiting to see what you post :smile:

Merlin
2004-10-18, 09:54 PM
Yes, just waiting to see what you post :smile:

....sorry, Skis!.....what do you mean "what I post"?

SkiSouth
2004-10-18, 11:33 PM
Did you ever get the pdf to download? if not PM me and give me your email address. I'll send it to you directly.

....sorry, Skis!.....what do you mean "what I post"?

My "what you post" meant I was looking forward to seeing a rendering from you. :)