PDA

View Full Version : Wall Sweeps - can you delete bits?

still.james
2009-02-10, 10:13 AM
im using a wall sweep at my eaves, but it is split between all my windows - i only want one bit at the end of the building....at present im having to drag all of the sweep and make tiny bits aligned (so it is made of about 5 50mm peices)

is there no way of just having the end piece and deleting the other parts of the wall sweep

ws
2009-02-10, 10:53 AM
Just a thought - could you split the wall hosting the sweep ?

By default the sweep is the length of the wall - if split at the right point it would be just the length of the split wall.

If it is only a small piece might it be simpler done as an in-place family?

patricks
2009-02-10, 05:51 PM
I hate how hosted sweeps behave this way. I usually end up placing the sweep at a height where it will be continuous across the wall, then drag one end back so that it's in the place I need it, and then move it to the correct height.

nancy.mcclure
2009-02-11, 01:12 AM
Various options have pros/cons:

A. Wall sweeps are a great tool, but they have that inherent behavior - must place along full wall length, then modify with grips.

B. Splitting a wall will limit the hosted wall sweep to a single wall segment, but that now means working with separated wall segments, which cannot join geometry back together when independantly hosting sweeps.

C. Wall-based families make it easy to create your often duplicated trim piece, but cannot be assigned into a system family category. This is a great method if all your trim pieces are identical in shape/length, so if either modifies they all do.

D. In-place families work great - unlike complex mass composites which do not update each other if copied, sweeps of profiles hold shape (not length) coordination throughout, although they cannot be defined as Wall Sweeps. Put them in the wall category, and filter to schedule.

Did I miss any?

Jillian
2016-11-22, 08:44 PM
I have been trying to do this, but when I do move it to the correct height, it adds the little pieces that I was trying to avoid in the first place.
I realize this post is from 2009, has there been advancements since then that I am missing?

Teklhammer
2016-12-27, 08:24 PM
I have been trying to do this, but when I do move it to the correct height, it adds the little pieces that I was trying to avoid in the first place.
I realize this post is from 2009, has there been advancements since then that I am missing?

My workaround is to create another wall sweep type identical to the first (type properties, duplicate), then select "Cuts by Inserts"option in the type properties.
The result is a single sweep along the wall that can be adjusted as a single sweep by use of grips in 3d view. openings still cut the sweep when they cross. The only hangup with this approach is that one cannot modify ends at the opening inserts.