PDA

View Full Version : When Linework Tool doesn't work

mmiles
2009-02-10, 10:31 PM
What do you do when the Linework tool will not change the look of an object?

In my particular instance: I have an exterior wall plane which defines the finish surface of my garage. within the wall assembly is a recessed window with small wing walls that lead back to the recessed plane (we call this a chamfered condition; and it is similar to an inverse bay window). The exterior face of the wall above the window is in the same plane and the walls on the sides and should "join" to those side walls. However, the join does not clean the lines.

So, I used the LW tool thinking what a great tool! And, then....I have a stubborn line that simply will not turn "invisible". I suspect this happens to more people than me, and I know for a fact this has happened in numerous instances for me. The question is why the problem? The walls have been "aligned" so the planes should not be slightly off. In fact, when I try to zoom in to such a close range I eventually lose sight of the lines altogether.

The second, and in this case, more important question is what does one do when a line that is not needed, or intended, or desired (and simply is a graphic mistake) will not go away? This happens all the time in plan, and up to now, I have lived with it. But in the case of my elevation it simply is misleading. What to Do, what to Do, what to Do???

thanks.

stellarblue153
2009-02-10, 10:57 PM
A couple thoughts:

Try using the Edit Wall Joins tool while in elevation view to toggle through the options and see if the line will go away. Sometimes it will refresh conditions like this and the line will just disappear.

If that does not work, try using the Tab key while applying the Linework tool. This will allow you to select lines that may be on top of each other.

If all else fails, you can use a Filled Region that approximates the same texture... not the best, but it is possible.

mmiles
2009-02-10, 11:11 PM
I not tried to use edit wall joins while in elevation...so I will give it a try. I am embarrassed to admit that someone had drawn a detail line in that location, so....that's why it appeared the LW tool was not working. (ooops)

However, the question remains: why sometimes does a line not change with the line work tool?

Another example of where this happens for me is this: the project has thick battered stone walls which have been modeled using basic walls and an in-place family for the battered part. the two are then "joined" but in an area where the split wall tool was used, the join does not clean up one of the common edges. THe LW tool seems like a good choice, but it does not affect the line. So now, I have prints with an extra line just floating in the middle of the assembly. And, when I export drawings for the engineer, there is an extra line for him to contend with, too. It's frustrating to have to consider drawing filled regions all over the place, or masking regions. ugh! any one else have a tip for dealing with this?

stellarblue153
2009-02-10, 11:36 PM
Yeah, those Detail lines don't like the Linework Tool :-)

In the case where you use the Split tool to separate the walls, you can use the Edit Wall Joins tool to get them to clean up again. Or, you can also just drag the endpoint of the wall away and then drag it back and it will usually clean up.

Craig_L
2009-02-11, 12:40 AM
Quick fix -
Masking region!