PDA

View Full Version : Tagging Windows - Stacked units

mmiles
2009-02-11, 04:59 PM
I have ganged units : Casements flanking Picture Window, and 3 awning windows above the three. I am having trouble tagging the three upper windows. I used a plan region to display the windows for tagging, but once I removed the plan region (as I do not want to display that height in CDs) the tags disappear. I can only get what is visible (i.e. associated with cut plane) to tag. The tab button only seems to cycle between visible units and walls - nothing else. Any suggestions?

thanks.

cliff collins
2009-02-11, 05:20 PM
If these windows are truly going to be "mulled" at the factory
and then installed in a single opening, I'd suggest making the whole assembly
a new window family by type--then tag it as a separate/single window.

If indeed the assembly will be individual windows which are "mulled"
by carpenters in the field, then you may need to tage each family.

Does this help?

cheers............

mmiles
2009-02-11, 06:47 PM
If these windows are truly going to be "mulled" at the factory
and then installed in a single opening, I'd suggest making the whole assembly
a new window family by type--then tag it as a separate/single window.

If indeed the assembly will be individual windows which are "mulled"
by carpenters in the field, then you may need to tage each family.

Does this help?

cheers............

The mulling will be done in the field. Thanks. My problem is the inability to tag the upper windows in plan view (which is where I normally tag them). It appears to be a limitation of Revit - to only show tags for windows that are entirely visible in a view. I am seeking a workaround, though I suspect making so-called dummy tags will be required. Or, I tag them in elevations instead.

jkady
2009-02-11, 07:26 PM
The mulling will be done in the field. Thanks. My problem is the inability to tag the upper windows in plan view (which is where I normally tag them). It appears to be a limitation of Revit - to only show tags for windows that are entirely visible in a view. I am seeking a workaround, though I suspect making so-called dummy tags will be required. Or, I tag them in elevations instead.

For our projects, we have tagged in plan & elevations, where appropriate. I would reccomend tagging in elevations, or using the plan region method you mentioned above.
I would avoid dummy tags at all costs, since if this changes you will have to manually update each one.

bwbarch
2009-02-12, 01:47 AM
Revit sure has a way of "forcing our hand" requiring that we adjust our methods to its methods. This is another great example of that! We have looked for an answer to this situation just as you have.

What we found to suit our purposes was to set up a special-purpose "Door and Window" elevation tag using the square style elevation head (we typically use the round head for all exterior building elevations). We place that elevation symbol on the plan in front of the mulled assembly, and then shrink the resulting viewport down to just include the outer edges of the casing around the assembly. This gives us an elevational "diagram" of sorts of the entire assembly which we place at an appropriate scale on the same sheet as our Door and Window Schedules.

You certainly could just tag the main building elevations, although that may require hidden elevations to show all openings. Personally, I like the flexibility of the separate elevation on the Door and Window Schedule sheet. That also gives us the opportunity to add extra dimensions and notes to it as may be useful.

Andre Carvalho
2009-02-12, 01:31 PM
I have ganged units : Casements flanking Picture Window, and 3 awning windows above the three. I am having trouble tagging the three upper windows. I used a plan region to display the windows for tagging, but once I removed the plan region (as I do not want to display that height in CDs) the tags disappear. I can only get what is visible (i.e. associated with cut plane) to tag. The tab button only seems to cycle between visible units and walls - nothing else. Any suggestions?

thanks.

You can try adding an invisible model line in the upper windows families, going all the way from the window to the floor reference level. Invisible model lines won't be seen but because they are crossing the cut plane, you will probably be able to select them using TAB key and add your tag to them.

Andre Carvalho

signalbass
2010-01-13, 08:58 PM
Revit sure has a way of "forcing our hand" requiring that we adjust our methods to its methods. This is another great example of that! We have looked for an answer to this situation just as you have.

What we found to suit our purposes was to set up a special-purpose "Door and Window" elevation tag using the square style elevation head (we typically use the round head for all exterior building elevations). We place that elevation symbol on the plan in front of the mulled assembly, and then shrink the resulting viewport down to just include the outer edges of the casing around the assembly. This gives us an elevational "diagram" of sorts of the entire assembly which we place at an appropriate scale on the same sheet as our Door and Window Schedules.

You certainly could just tag the main building elevations, although that may require hidden elevations to show all openings. Personally, I like the flexibility of the separate elevation on the Door and Window Schedule sheet. That also gives us the opportunity to add extra dimensions and notes to it as may be useful.

Could you post an example? So you are creating seperate elevation views for every mulled window in order to show the units with out the surrounding building on a sheet. Is there an easier way to do this?

Also, if all of the windows are already placed in the model as separate components, is there a way to create to quickly create in-place or nested families for the mulled units?