PDA

View Full Version : Imprting a Linked Cad file

paysna
2009-02-12, 04:44 PM
when I import a my Cad Detail as a Link, it comes in no problem, but it has an enormous frame associated with it. Its own window is very large on the Drafting View pane. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or what might be causing this?

patricks
2009-02-12, 05:02 PM
If you have AutoCAD, open the file, and make sure all layers are turned on and/or unfrozen, and see if there are any rogue elements way far out in space that you can delete.

paysna
2009-02-12, 05:13 PM
ya I tried that, no luck, I've unlocked all layers, purged all and still it persists. it's a real problem, it makes it so that when I import it to a page, I can barely find it

mmates
2009-02-12, 06:35 PM
Just to be sure, a DWG detail should be linked into a Drafting View and the Current View Only option should be activated and dimmed. I’m with PatrickS and the DWG file probably needs to be addressed. What happens if you select the detail objects in AutoCAD and WBLOCK them to a new file, and then link that file into Revit?

In Revit, what happens if you link it with options:
Auto – Origin to Origin
Auto – Center to Center
Manual – Center

Finally, I’ve seen the Revit view’s clip options affect a DWG link before. Open the view properties and examine the clip options.

cliff collins
2009-02-12, 07:53 PM
Try this:

In the cad file, Turn on/Thaw all, Select all .

Copy to clipboard. Open a new Cad file. Paste into it.

Zoom Extents--Go find the objects which are "way off the page" and you should now be able to delete them.

Save that cad file.

In Revit, go to Manage Links and Reload From--select the new cad file.

This has worked for us in similar circumstances.

Cheers..............

harkeychad
2009-02-13, 04:59 PM
I just had this issue yesterday and found look in the drafting view at the upper corner of the window. See what is there. I had some weird thing going on with dimensions. I opened up the dwg and re-did some of the dims and it worked. It might have something to do with Annotative in Acad.