PDA

View Full Version : Revit & the Retail World

rayswarts
2004-10-18, 06:19 PM
I with a retailer who is looking at making the switch to Revit. We've been able to find all kinds of info about Revit and the Construction/Architectural world, but not a lot about the Retail uses. Are there any retailers out there who are using it today?

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-10-18, 08:28 PM
This thread popped up some time ago.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3531&highlight=safeway

David Conant has been using Revit for retailers for some time. He taught a session at AU last year that focused on Revit and Retail. Not sure if the information is still posted on the AU web site but you might check it out there.

I think Revit's general abilities along with the design options could make repeated element, 'branded' architecture a breeze.

Alex Page
2004-10-18, 08:57 PM
Also have a look at this white paper (off autodesk site)

rayswarts
2004-10-19, 12:18 PM
Thank you both for the help. But what I am looking for is any other retailers that have made or are making the switch to Revit. I would like to contact them to see how it's working, if they've experienced any hiccups, glitches, etc. so that I might avoid those or at least be aware to them. In short, I'd like to take advantage of their previous experience.

ita
2004-10-19, 02:57 PM
rayswarts, if you are interested, you might try contacting Omar Awny from Autodesk Australia, He is working with the Woolworths or Coles supermarket chains I believe. If you email me I will provide his contact details.

SCShell
2004-10-19, 03:13 PM
Hi there,

Last month or so, one of the Revit developers attended our local Tucson Revit User Group meeting. (I can't remember his name at the moment, sorry.) In addition to a good question and answer session, he got heavily into Revit's scheduling with parameters ability.
He showed us how they (Revit) are currently working with two of the biggest "big box" chain stores in developing their shelving and fixture layouts which included the ability to schedule all of the costs associated. Very cool stuff!! It really helps the retailers to lay out shelving racks and be able to know how many slats, bolts, struts etc. it will require. He told us that they (the retailers) are currently doing all of this layout work by hand!

I am sure you can contact Revit to find out more about this new kind of work being done directly with retail chains.
Hope this helps
Steve Shell

ajayholland
2004-10-19, 03:29 PM
We have clients in the retail marketplace, including high-end retail, grocery, and CPG, who have become aware of Revit, and some are considering migrating their in-house store design departments to Revit.

Little Diversified was involved in the proof of concept study mentioned above by SCShell. For another client, we are going a step further by developing a methodology for exporting merchandise related model information via ODBC for use with their other sales analysis tools.

~AJH

Allen Lacy
2004-10-19, 04:21 PM
Not exactly the retailer that you may be looking for, but there was an announcement about a year ago in this forum about Safeway requiring all new projects be done with Revit.

Cathy Hadley
2004-10-19, 08:23 PM
I've also seen a couple of presentation talking about Toys R Us and how they are using Revit... I second what was said before... contact AutoDesk Revit and I am sure they will be happy to give you the references you are looking for.

CZH